How many subroutines can a program have in RSLogix 5000?

lufen

It is my understanding you can have 32 tasks in a project, and 32 programs in a task. What about routines?

Last edited:
Depending on the controller you can have 32 PROGRAMS or 100 PROGRAMS within a task. I am not aware of any limit on routines contain in a program.

I was always told there is no limit on the number of Routines in a Program, and that only memory constraints would limit them, but there must be a numerical limit, because the system has to maintain an index to the memory location where the subroutine starts.

If it's an 8-bit index (definitely not, since I've seen programs with more than 256 routines), then that limits the number of subroutines to 16#FF, or 256

If it's a 16-bit index then that limits the number of subroutines to 16#FFFF, or 65,536

If it's a 32-bit index (which seems the most likely, since it's a 32-bit machine), then that limits the number of subroutines to 16#FFFFFFFF, or 4,294,967,396

Since the Help actually states "You can have as many routines per program as the controller memory allows", my money would be on the 32-bit index, and you will certainly run out of memory before creating that many routines.

Depending on the controller you could have as many as 32 tasks. Some have 4, 8, or 16.

Again, depending on the controller, each task can have up to 100 programs (some only allow 32).

Each program can have as many as 65,535 routines. So, not quite unlimited, but pretty close. As THE PLC KID says, you run out of memory before that point.

OG