How Old Is Your Current Laptop?

kittydog42

I just realized, I am beginning my fourth year using my current laptop, and it is still working pretty well. I have had to change the hard drive once, and I need to back it up often because every now and then, it won't boot up (just a flashing cursor), but it always restores and continues to work. It is a Dell Latitude D505 and has even survived a number of falls in it's Pelican case, with minimal damage. A lot of people I know outside of 'the field' complain of laptops that don't last, that is why I am asking. My battery even still works, though usually for no more than an hour or so. We bought 4 of these and all of them still work!

I have ordered a new one, though, a Dell Latitude D630 (serial port still available), since the occasional no-boots could pose an eventual problem. What a hassle getting a new computer! I am going to try something new with this one - I am backing up with a program called Acronis True Image Workstation, and it has a feature called Univeral Restore. This program allows you to restore an image to new hardware, and it takes care of reconciling the drivers. I will try it with a new hard drive so that there is no risk of losing my fresh, new one. Hopefully, it will work like gangbusters. Has anyone else ever tried this program?

Bought my Dell Inspiron 8500 in august 2003, added a gig of RAM (1.5 now) and changed the HD to a 80 gig 7200 RPM. NEVER formatted it and works like a charm. One of the fastest booting XP machine I've seen. Dell's are perfect for what we do with their OneCare warranty (not sure if it's still called that way). You can drive on it with your car on purpose and they'll replace it without asking a question.

They call it "Complete Care" in the states. It's an awesome warrenty. They wouldn't sell it in CA and many other states since it's an insurace policy (they will now).

I've had my current laptop for almost a year now - but my last one lasted quite awhile (both Dell). I would highly recommend against low end Compaqs. I got one knowing it was a piece of **** in college and it died on me in under a year. It was under warrenty but they refused to honor it, citing another problem that was "my fault" that would cost more than the value of the computer before they'd consider looking at the real problem.

JulienV said:
Bought my Dell Inspiron 8500 in august 2003, added a gig of RAM (1.5 now) and changed the HD to a 80 gig 7200 RPM. NEVER formatted it and works like a charm. One of the fastest booting XP machine I've seen. Dell's are perfect for what we do with their OneCare warranty (not sure if it's still called that way). You can drive on it with your car on purpose and they'll replace it without asking a question.