How to communicate to field devices via ethernet

joeburmeister

I have numerous 24VDC/50mA beacon/horn devices in the field. How do I convert these devices to IP based devices where each device gets an unique IP address. I also want to run these devices via POE (no 24V DC Power Supplies available).

I want a PLC (Schneider/ Rockwell/Siemens, etc) to communicate to these devices via TCP/IP. Communication will basically be turning the beacon/horn units on/off.

I prefer not to use discrete I/O modules. Wireless is not an option due to cyber security concerns. I prefer to use Ethernet POE switch to provide power to the remote alarm boxes. Everything will be on the same subnet. The solution needs to be small, modular and very portable.I was thinking like using Siemens S7-1200 PLC. It has integrated Ethernet built in.

It's a simple problem i need help implementing it.

Yes, there is simple way to do this. Depending on the PLC you choose, there is a recommended industrial Ethernet protocol (Modbus TCP for Shcneider, Profinet IO for Siemens, EtherNet/IP for Rockwell). Each of these vendors as well as third-party vendors like Wago, or Phoenix, etc. offer flexible remote IO modules that translate the real-time Ethernet communication into the digital inputs, digital outputs, analogue inputs or outputs physically connected to the Ethernet coupler. It is fairly standard, there are a lot of offering and the engineering tools of the PLC allows for easy configuration. Which is the best protocol of the three is a question with no easy answer. They are all very good .

Here is a stack light that supports Modbus TCP and powered over PoE:
https://www.patlite.com/product/detail0000000651.html

Not sure about alarm horns. They may require too much power for PoE.

edit, the above mentioned stack light has an audible signal built in. But it is 85 dB. The 85 dB at 1 m is probably a maximum noise level allowed close to the operator.
When you say 'horn' I imagine something high on a pillar that can be heard from far away.

Last edited: