How to define the EDS File install location?

PreLC

Hello PLCS.Net!
I have the EDS Hardware Installation Tool installed on my PC.

When I try to install a file, It says it's successful, the "Installation Test Result" is successful.
This is for manually adding files.

Even Rockwell devices with auto upload go through the EDS upload process in RSLinx, then still continue showing up as a ?

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks!
-PreLC

What version of RSLinx Classic are you running ? On what OS ?

In general, EDS files themselves are stored in a flat directory:

C:\Users\Public\Documents\Rockwell\EDS

The file names are the ASCII values of their ID object (Vendor, Type, Product, Version), regardless of the filename you chose when you registered the EDS.

EDS files are "registered" in an SQL database, an instance that's installed along with other Rockwell Software stuff. Prior to RSLinx 2.4 or so, they were registered in the Windows Registry.

One important thing to remember is that you should never place an EDS file manually into the \EDS directory. ONLY point to it somewhere else with the Hardware Installation Tool, and let that tool both place a renamed copy into the \EDS directory and register it in the database.

Do you know if the devices are still considered unrecognized after you register them, or do they just keep using the "?" icon instead of an appropriate icon ?

So, one by one:

The RSLinx version is 4.11 CPR9 SR11.

The folder exists, and new things are added onto it, so that kind of tells me things are going in.
One file inside that folder seems weird: It has a real name: KUNBUS_GW_EtherNetIP.
I installed this device recently, but this issue has been persistent for a long time.

I do think that the devices are still considered unrecognized, as I can't add them in a program(Even when offline, the lookup is empty), nor can I double click on the ? entries in RSLinx to get module info. It just errors out.