How to stop Telemecanique Zelio program?

DEVITG,

I have the Zelio SR3 B101B model. It has a 24 VAC input power, six 24 VAC digital inputs, 4 relay outputs, and 4 input buttons. It also seems to have an internal clock which seems to keep excellent time even when the unit is unpowered for days or weeks at a time.

Titanium

Do It

PRESS THE GREEN BUTTON

THEN THE DOWN ARROW TO SET AT STOP/RUN

again the green button , it will ask to STOP-PROG YES OR NOT
AND THE YES WILL BE BLINKING
PRESS AGAIN THE GREEN BUTTON

It shall stop.

no password required

DEVITG,

Thanks for the advice. The steps you suggest do not work on my Zelio PLC.

I was able to talk with Zelio PLC tech support this morning. This took awhile as, even though I was able to talk with live humans, they kept referring me to phone numbers which eventually led back to the same dead end. :confused:

Bottom Line: The Zelio PLC tech people said that it was entirely possible, depending on how the OEM wrote the program, for the Zelio PLC program to be unstoppable from the buttons on the front panel. And my only options are 1) get the password from the OEM to unlock the PLC and thereby be able to stop the program, or 2) disconnect the input power to the PLC and turn it completely off.

Thanks for everyone's help. Who knew that the Zelio would be such a tough, uncrackable little machine?

Titanium

"Silver,

Thanks for your reply.

The Zelio cable does indeed have a very non-standard plug on the Zelio end. Am I stuck having to pay $100 USD for this cable? Kind of a shame, really, considering that the software is free.

Have you used the Zelio before?"

Yes you will have to fork out the dough to get a cable. Better a $100 cable and free software than a free cable and $5,000 software!

Yes, just installed one to replace a motorized cam switch sequencer in a water treatment plant. 24Vdc, 6(?) inputs, 12(?) outputs, no screen. Very easy to program with the free software. Maybe I should password protect my program for a little added job security? Naw, I'm too busy as it is!

goodluck,

Brian.

Last edited:
passwording is easy

When you transfer the program to module there is a box up left , check it and 2 little rectangle allow you to put the password , and confirm it .

DEVITG,

Thanks for the idea. I think you are correct in that since I can not stop the Zelio program from running on the bare PLC, then my next stop is to probably get that darn cable and get the free ZelioSoft software. I was hoping that the ZelioSoft software might give me some options that are not available with the as-programmed bare PLC that I have.

What module are you referring to? A memory module? Doesn't the memory module and the data cable plug into the same receptacle on the PLC?

Thanks again for your help.

Titanium

Titanium,

On many PLCs, you can wipe out the password on an existing program by using the software to load a new program in its place. In the Zelio Manual quote below Smart Realy to PC Transfer, note Item 5, "Enter Password if necessary". But when transferring from PC to Smart Relay, the password is not mentioned, making me think that it will wipe out the old program even if password protected. In your case, I think you would only want to do this if you can get a copy of the program first. The alternative will be to write your own pump speed control program and download it in place of the existing password-protected program. You might buy an EEPROM and try transferring the existing program into that first. It is not clear that the password will prevent that also. Then, having saved the existing program, you are free to write your own. If it doesn't work, you can always transfer the old one back.

I doubt if it is very sophisticated. You could probably design a better one. I always ponder why would anyone in his/her right mind would protect something like this... Customer added value? Customer satisfaction? Customer appreciation? Nah, none of those for sure. Programmer vanity is the ony thing that answers the question.

Question: If you had known the PLC was password-protected, and one reason you stated for purchasing it was because it had this PLC, then would you have even bought this pump model at all?

Lesson to be Learned: Ask about access to the program before you buy. After your money is paid, it is to late then. You have no bargaining chips whatsoever.
Smart relay -> PC transfer

The Zelio smart relay can be configured and programmed using the ZelioSoft program. This transfer function lets the user retrieve an application from a smart relay using the program.

The following method is used:

1- Select the "
TRANSFER." function from the main menu.

2- Press the Sel./ OK key to validate.

3- Select the "Modul.->PC" function.

4- Press the​
Sel./ OK key to validate.

5- Enter the password if necessary.

6- The smart relay displays "​
READY" and the transfer is performed as soon as the program is ready.

PC -> Smart relay transfer

This transfer function is used to load an application developed using ZelioSoft into a smart relay.

The following method is used:

1- Select the "​
TRANSFER." function from the main menu.​

2- Press the Sel./ OK key to validate.​

3- Select the "PC->Modul." function.​

4- Press the Sel./ OK key to validate.​

5- When prompted to "Change Prog?" select the answer "YES" by pressing the Z1 key.​

6- Press the Sel./ OK key to validate.​

7- The smart relay displays "READY" and the transfer is performed as soon as the software requests it.

Last edited:
Lancie1,

Thanks for your help.

I had also read that the PC-to-Smart Relay transfer would wipe out the program. And you are correct that I am reluctant to do this without a copy of the program in hand in case my home-brew version would somehow fail to work.

Question: If you had known the PLC was password-protected, and one reason you stated for purchasing it was because it had this PLC, then would you have even bought this pump model at all?

I would have probably went ahead and bought this unit anyway. The application, in case I hadn't mentioned it before, is for a residential swimming pool filter pump. I was in the middle of installing a pool automation system (Hayward/GoldLine AquaLogic - I got such a good deal on it that I could not build one from scratch any less expensively). While I was transferring circuits from the old mechanical timers to the new system, I was switching the upstream 30 Amp circuit breaker on and off quite a few times. One of these times, the two-pole 240 volt breaker malfunctioned and only gave my 240 Volt filter pump a measly 120 Volts. The filter pump motor did not like this, got really hot, and croaked. I was going to replace this 2 HP filter pump next spring anyway, so it just meant that I had to do this job a little sooner than expected.

The residential swimming pool market is going to change radically for 2008 in California. Historically, residential pool pumps have been powered by oversized (2 HP pumps instead of 1/2 or 3/4 HP) single-phase motors. Ignoring the lousy efficiency of single-phase motors in general, these oversized pool pumps create very large dynamic head losses because of the unnecessary friction in the piping and pipe fittings. As of January 1, 2008, the State of California is banning the sale or purchase of single-speed pumps for use in swimming pools, and, at a minimum, is requiring the use of two-speed motors. The theory is that the normal high speed of 3450 rpm will be used only for initial priming and perhaps for spa jets if the pool has an attached spa. The rest of the time the pump will be running at low speed at 1750 rpm for filtration purposes. The idea is that an equivalent amount of water will be run through the filter, but it will take longer and use less overall electricity.

I didn't really lilke the idea of two-speed pumps because of the inherent limitations. So I wanted to go with a variable speed solution. As of this writing, I know of only two vendors who offer variable speed pool pumps. One is Ikeric Systems www.ikeric.com which is the one I went with. This unit uses a three-phase motor, which is inherently more efficient than single-phase motors, along with a plain vanilla Square D Altivar 11 variable speed drive. The three-phase motor is attached to the filter pump and the vsd is in a separate panel. Tried and true technology, but just being applied to the residential pool market over the last 3 or 4 years. Plus I was going to be able to play with the PLC that was also in the panel. :cry:

The other vendor offering variable speed pool pumps is Pentair Water Pool and Spa and their IntelliFlo pump. Now this one is a horse of a different color. This one uses a brushless DC motor (or as Pentair refers to it - a permanent magnet synchronous motor) with the drive directly attached to the motor. During my research, it appears that brushless DC motors are more efficient than three-phase motors, and especially so when relatively unloaded (10% - 50%) when three-phase motor efficiency falls off the cliff. This system would have been $200-$300 more expensive and easier to install (no separate panel to install). I could have easily justified the extra money due to the higher efficiency and cleaner installation, but I got scared when I could not find what a replacement brushless DC motor was going to cost if it failed after the warranty was up, whereas three-phase motors are as common as sand on the beach. http://www.pentairpool.com/products/products3.php?id=76

Hayward Pool Products is bringing out a plain vanilla variable speed drive in a separate panel which powers a plain vanilla three-phase motor. It appears to be very similar to the Ikeric Systems product, but it will not be out on the market until early 2008. Does anyone recognize the brand of PLC that Hayward is using in the attached link? http://www.haywardnet.com/pdfs/TriStarEnergySolution_LITTSESB07.pdf

Sorry for rambling. Hopefully the above will be useful for those with swimming pools. And this stuff is really important for those of us in California. Having a pool usually pushes one into the upper tiers of power cost, which for PG&E is on mind-numbingly high order of 32 cents per kilowatt-hour. :eek: So saving energy with these kind of pool pumps can really save a ton of money.

Titanium