how to upload a program using a crossover cable

stu

hi guys, i have a question i would like to upload a program from a panelview + using a crossover cable do i have to set up enterprise to see the crossover cable or do i use ethernet ? i have tried using ethernet but it does not see it? any ideas. thanks stu

A crossover cable IS ethernet! You'll just need to make sure you have all of the IP addresses entered correctly.

Using 1x Crossover ethernet cable, 1x panelview+, 1x computer w/ ethernet port.

If the pv+ already has a static ip address: skip to next step, otherwise configure the pv+ to use a static ip address in whatever range(Use a non-routable address for this * 192.168.5.1 for this example*) , so 192.168.5.1 for the ip, 255.255.255.0 for the subnet, no gateway(if you have to set it, use 192.168.5.254), Ignore dns.

Now, Computer, Configure the ethernet port to be 192.168.5.2 ip , same subnet as above, same gateway as above if required, ignore dns.

Connect the crossover between the pv+ and the ethernet port on the computer you just configured(for ease of use, make sure this is the only ethernet port active *shut wireless off*)

Wait 2 mins and the application transfer application should see the pv+ w/ no trouble. If not, Reboot the PV+

thanks, your all right i had to set up the ip address communicating now, but i have another question now when you upload a project it asks you destination file where do i put it so it appears in the existing projects so i can amend the screens?

Well, The .mer file you are uploading from the Panelview+ is not the project. It is a compilied runtime image.

Now, If the .mer is version 5, you can recover most of the project information from it easily.

If it is a version 4 file.. Not easy(technically not going to happen w/out serious help).

Do you have the original .apa project file? It sounds like you are uploading the .mer (compiled runtime) file without the original project. If you don't have the original project file, there are previous posts on this forum that you could search for guidance on restoring the file.

Well, Then you have to hope it is a version 5 file :)

This assumes you have FactoryTalk View Me 5.0 :
Upload the .mer to your computer, Open up the Application Manager for FactoryTalk, You should have of options, the last one should be "Restore Runtime Application", choose that, hit next, point it at the file you just uploaded to your computer and hit next.

It will tell you if the version isn't right for doing this, If you don't even have the option for "Restore Runtime Application", well...