I Cant Find Info Anywhere

Scotty86

This might be a stupid question but for my coursework i have been asked to find the following;

1) The relationship between word length and resolution of analogue signals?

2) Research common networking techniques ( ISO, IEE and MAP)?

Can anyone direct me in the right direction?

Thanks!!

Resolution cannot be any better than 1/the maximum integer that can be represented in a word. It can be significantly less depending on the analog to digital converter (eg, you could use an 8 bit converter with 32 bit words), but it cannot be better.

There are only a few choices about the relationship between analogue word length (number of bits) and resolution.

Either resolution increases with increasing word length or resolution decreases as word length increases. Beyond that, the relationship could be linear, square, cubic, logarithmic, etc....

Do you know what "word length" means in this context? Do you know the definition of "resolution"?

Thanks for the replys guys! In response to Steve Bailey,

Do you know what "word length" means in this context? Do you know the definition of "resolution"?

The question in my assignment asks. In terms of analogue signals discribe the relationship between word length and resolution/accuracy???

I would like to be more specific but im not sure myself.
Thanks!!