I demand working ladder now!

Steve Bailey said:
Is corn fusion in any way similar to Pons & Fleischmann's cold fusion?

Possibly

36118.gif

Maybe because that is the highest prime number under 100. It is known to be used in several error checking schemes for bankcards and so. In Belgium it is used to check whether bank account numbers and social security numbers are correct.

Kind regards

If you turn a Volkswagon upside down you would get your ThermoNuclearMagnetoHydroDynamicPulse generator. It is even programmed for you.

jvdcande said:
Maybe because that is the highest prime number under 100. It is known to be used in several error checking schemes for bankcards and so. In Belgium it is used to check whether bank account numbers and social security numbers are correct.

Really? How does that work?

Hey is this a"ThermoNuclearMagnetoHydroDynamicPulser"?
Outhouse.jpg

Or a rocket powered outhouse? Anyway I got the code for both.
Later...Todd

Akreel,

it's quitte simple: you take the number without the last two digits, divide that by 97 and the remainder should be equql to the last two digits. If not, then the code is not correct.

Example: bank account number 123-4567890-02. Divide 1234567890 by 97 and the remainder must be 2, hence the 02 for the last two digits. So bank account number 123-4567890-25 does not pass the test and thus is not correct.

For a social security number, they have made it somewhat more complex: the remainder must be subtracted from 97 to get the last two digits.

Example: social security number (in Belgium we call it our national number because it's not only used for social security) 620316-461-91. If you divide 620316461 by 97 you get a remainder of 6. Subtract 6 from 97 and you get 91 which form the last two digits of the social security number.

Schemes like this might be used to protect programs from being copied: read out a number fixed in the hardware such as a serial number, complete it with a control number and check that number in a protected routine. You know the routine, so you can correctly calculate the missing digits, but the one who makes the copy doesn't.

Kind regards,

ToddM said:
Hey is this a"ThermoNuclearMagnetoHydroDynamicPulser"?
Outhouse.jpg

Or a rocket powered outhouse? Anyway I got the code for both.
Later...Todd

Someone's going to steal that for their new avatar. I just know it...

Thanks, Jean Pierre. I appreciate the info.

Last edited: