I finally got my Logix back.

Bering C Sparky

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello everyone, its been 8 years since I frequented this forum. I had a lifetime membership with my old profile, but could not remember my password and did not see any option to recover it, so had to start a new one.
We just got a brand new ship and its loaded with Allen Bradley, Seimens, Omron, Wago and B&K.

Our main factory is Allen Bradley redundant Compact Logix, Compact Guard Logix, Point I/O, IFM I/O-Link (Ethernet/IP) and over 100 Danfoss VLT drives networked to the PLCs over Ethernet as well.
The main operator terminals are Hope Industrial Systems connected to redundant HMI servers and there are PanelView Plus 7 HMIs scattered thought the factory.
Our fishmeal factory is ControlLogix, Guard Logix and around 30 Danfoss VLT Drives networked over ethernet. There are also a few larger AB drives in the larger equipment that are networked as well.

I will be speaking with a salesman tomorrow about purchasing Studio 5000 software and hoped to get some input on the subject here before I speak with him.
I will admit up front I have not done a lot of research so forgive any dumb questions.

Should I purchase the Professional version of Studio 5000 or will the Full version suffice?
From the little I have read I am leaning toward the Professional Version. I want to insure we get what we need the first go round, but not to overpay for features we will not use.

I was also thinking of storing the software on a USB dongle. Any thoughts on the pros & cons of doing so and would you recommend another method over that.
We will have 2 laptops but only one would be using the license at a time. (Dayshift - Night shift) I just prefer not to share the same laptop with someone else if I can help it.

Is FactoryTalk and FactoryTalk View included in Studio 5000 or will I need to purchase the HMI software separately?
If they are purchased separately are there options to consider with those as well?

Any info those in the know can provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Factory talk View is a seperate software, with studio 5000 you get view designer which is for PanelView 5000 series of HMI's.

DownLoad the free version of RSLinx (If you don't already have it) and go online to see what versions the PLC's are all at, you will need matching firmware of the software to be able to go online to each seperate version.

I am not sure what the differences between full and professional are but you need to make sure that the languages that you have in your programs are installed with the software, (ladder, structured text, function block are the most used in 5000).

Talk to the people that wrote your programs to see what language they used.

If you are talking about activation on the USB dongle, I believe it works well, I have not used it.

ps welcome back.

Thanks for the clarification. I guess since its called Studio 5000 now I was assuming they had bundled the HMI software in with the PLC software. The vendor seemed to agree with me on that when I asked him about it as well. But I am sure he was referring to the view designer as you said.

I believe Studio was just coming out when I got away from Allen Bradley, so I remember the software as Logix5000, not Studio.
I have been online with the trial version the vendor hooked us up with but it is about to expire.
The factory PLCs are version 32 and the fishmeal plc is version 33. (They were installed by different vendors)
The PLC program for the factory (V32) is mostly ladder, but they did use structured text for a batching routine in the program as well.

If I purchase V33 will I not be to connect to the version V32 PLCs?
Its been many years, I was not the one setting up the laptops we used in the past and I have never used Studio until this point. But I thought with Logix 5000 you got the older versions up to the highest version you purchased as part of the deal.
Is that not correct?

I did see that Rockwell is calling anything older than version 20.5 (i think) "Legacy" and charging an additional couple grand to go back farther than that now.
That was probably about the latest version that was out when I stopped using AB 8 years ago. LOL

I am sure the salesman's from the local distributor will put on the correct path when I speak to him. Just wanted to get as much info as I could first so I don't waist his or my time during working hours. Clock is ticking to start of season and we still have a long way to go.

Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Studio 5000 is just RSLogix 5000 with the ability to save comments in the processor from version 21 up.
You will need both version 32 and 33.

Studio5000 also has ViewDesigner which is for programming the 5000 series of PanelViews, in my opinion not as good as FactoryTalk View but I have not had a lot to do with it yet.
If you purchase 33 you”should” be able to download version 32 with your version 33 licence. Best to ask the Rockwell salesman you get the definitive answer.
Do you know what version the PanelViews are, if you shut down the application you can find the version on one of the setup tabs.

Last edited:
I was also thinking of storing the software on a USB dongle. Any thoughts on the pros & cons of doing so and would you recommend another method over that.

I would advise against using a usb dongle for the license, it's something that could get damaged easily.
Factory talk activation manager is free. Just install that on a PC/Server that will be accessible to any computer on the network, then point the pc's running the programming software to the license server.

Studio 5000 is just RSLogix 5000 with the ability to save comments in the processor from version 21 up.

Wait what? Are you sure that's true? I've worked with versions as far back as RSLogix5000 version 10 and I could have sworn that they all had the comments in the processor.

Maybe I just never had to upload using a new file during that period.

Wait what? Are you sure that's true? I've worked with versions as far back as RSLogix5000 version 10 and I could have sworn that they all had the comments in the processor.

Yep, that is correct 21 and up notes were saved at processor level, before it was like 500, saved on your PC:nodi:

5000 was much better than 500 at using your already-open file as the file to go online with though.

To address OP's question though, yes your purchase of a Studio 5000 license will allow you to download software versions from 20.05 up to whatever is current one year after purchase (or whenever you stop paying if you opt for a subscription or pay for TechConnect).

You can see the breakdown between what each license offers here. The only things Professional offers that Full does not are RSNetworx, Emulate, and Data Exchange. Unless you are going to be dealing with DeviceNet or ControlNet (doesn't sound like it) then Full will probably be sufficient.

When I bought the full version it had components not included in the professional version, and cost $1,500 more. [$6,500 in about 2016 if I remember right, but I can't remember half the things I did yesterday]

Now to get I what I got you have to buy professional and addons

EDIT - I have my licenses on the USB-Dongle because of 4 desktops and 4 laptops with RSL 5, 500 & 5000 on them. If I only had one computer I would not do that, just leave it on the hard drive.

Last edited:
The main things included in Professional are:

RSNetwork for DeviceNet / ControlNet / EtherNetIP
Studio 5000 Logix Emulate

So the first question is, do you have ControlNet or DeviceNet? The Ethernet version of RSNetWorx is not necessary. Emulate is useful if you are doing development, but if you aren't then it isn't necessary. So the second question is are you doing Logix development where Emulate would be necessary/useful?

As others mentioned, purchase the current version of Studio 5000 and you can download earlier versions too. You would need to install version 33 and version 32 to support your controllers.

When Rockwell went to version 21 of their Logix software, they changed the name from RSLogix 5000 to Studio 5000. This software now has two separate editors. One for editing Logix applications and one for editing HMI applications. So when you are editing Logix applications, you are using Logix Designer and when editing the new (at the time) PanelView 5000 applications, you are using View Designer. Again this is for a specific new PanelView called the PanelView 5000.

However, the PanelView Plus continues to use FactoryTalk View Studio Machine Edition. So that software would be required. It can create runtimes for different firmware versions of those terminals so you don't have to install multiple versions as wih the Logix software.

OG

About RSNetworx, they are included with S5000, but not licensed

When I checked it was an additional $1,200 for a license that covered all 3 versions, that was this past spring