I NEED HELP! Re: Rockwell/Foxboro

Bakerman

I know this subject isn't largely discussed here. Also, I don't want this to turn into some personal preference flame war, but...

I have a very large decision to make. It basically comes down to Rockwell Automation's ProcessLogix/ControlLogix hybrid system, and a Foxboro I/A system for process control.

I'd like to hear of ANY experiences anyone has had. Good or bad. Period. I'm trying to gather as much information as possible. I'm fairly comfortable with the Rockwell equipment, not specifically ProcessLogix, but everything else. Foxboro I have no personal experience with, but they have a good track record from what I can find.

PLEASE HELP!!! This is a HUGE decision. I'm talking $$$$. And in the future, more $$$$$.

ANY help is greatly appreciated!!!

I am sorry but this decision is on you

You have to know/decide which has the options and expansionability to fit your system now and in the future. We dont know your system.

The only suggestion I can offer is to look at the support options for both compared to your system needs.

There's the problem. I sincerely think that from a Hardware/Software platform, both will serve my needs very well. I personally am more comfortable with Rockwell, but that doesn't mean I can't develop a relationship with Foxboro. As for my technicians, they have some Rockwell experience, but they are mostly accustomed to Bailey.

As for support, I can't see how anyone can POSSIBLY touch Rockwell in this department. I have several, several integrators in the area, several distributors, tons of support through areas such as this forum, etc. Foxboro is, well, very limited.

I'd rather not divulge the nature of my system right now, considering that I am currently in negotiations with several suppliers as we speak. But, my main goal is critical uptime, expandibility, ease of maintenance, on-line configuarability/troubleshooting, and operation/functionality. In a continuous process environment. Some SCADA.

Any personal experience, whether it be directly related to my project or not, is certainly welcome.

I have worked with both...yes both are good depending on the process.

Foxboro to me is too proprietary/specific if you need 3 things:
1. Expandibility
2. Variety of options for devices...ie connectivity.
3. Pesonnel knowing the system...AB may be a little easier to understand (due to being less proprietary and having lots of documentation/support).

Not knowing the system noone can make an unbiased decision. If there are alot of external devices...espeically motors/drives involved then I would go with AB...I think! That and the fact the help are familiar and support issues will be a big asset if this is a fairly large project.

In general, the hardware cost is only a small portion of the total project cost. System design, programming, and commissioning are much more significant both in terms of total project cost and final performance.

DCS suppliers like Foxboro tend to be more turnkey system suppliers than guys like A-B, and tend to do a lot of the programming and design themselves. They are very strong in certain industries and niches, and if your application is in one of them, they may have an advantage. I do know Foxboro used A-B PLCs (SLCs) in at least one of their turnkey wastewater systems. Foxboro support seems to be very good.

If you are familiar with A-B and PLCs, then your engineering cost and programming may be lower with that option. Learning to program a DCS is, from the litle I know, a lot more daunting a task. In terms of customer maintenance, PLCs are easier for a non-instrumentation engineer to maintain and repair.

DCS systems seem to be loosing automation market share, and PLCs gaining. However, worldwide the PLC business is not nearly as large as the DCS business.