I need to create an interval time.

bezure

I need to create an interval timer that will fire a point for one second .time five seconds and fire the point again for one second. and so on . this is for a baghouse on top of the silo to clean out my filters .I want to use it as a puffer.
I know I can purchase an interval timer from a supplier. but I am curious how it could be done with a PLC. I'm sure it will be a no-brainer for some of you. as for me I am curious to see the logic. I am using a 1747 slc 500 L40B processor.
I am trying to write a program for a balk material transfer system on this small processor. creating the interval timer has me stumped. none of the books or training programs I am working with have anything close to this interval time. thank you for your help and assistance is appreciated

thank you for the information

I want to thank you for the information it is very helpful . I am amazed at the wealth of information this cite holds. knowledge is power . thank you for sharing

now that I see how it is done I could kick myself

now that I see how easily it was done I could kick myself. for starters I over complicated the process. instead of breaking and down to its basic components.
it seems to me the more I learn about PLC programming the less I know. I am hoping one day the light will come on. until that day. thank you all for your help