IBH Softec S5 for Windows - Comms

ToolGuyFred

I'm running this on an old Win98 laptop which appears to have a "real" serial port. Software is version 5.04. Processor is a 115U. I can list PLC contents, upload the program but not monitor the program.

When I select a block on the block list, then click the "Display Block Status" I get an error. The banner on the dialogue box reads "Warning No.: 3042" and the box reads "Incorrect PLC Answer" with an OK button. Click on OK and it tells me that the block could not be displayed due to communication interruption.

I have tried a variety of communication settings in the preferences dialogue. Everything other than the current settings fails to communicate at all ("PLC does not answer!").

I have four programming cables at my disposal, 3 from Siemens and one from Softec. I have tried two of the Siemens leads and the Softec one (all the same, read the program but won't monitor) so it seems unlikely to be the lead itself.

If any of this is in the help file or printed manual then I can't find it. Anyone else met this? :confused:

If your CPU has two serial ports the first port only performs "display block status" function. The second port cant't work in this way.

If your CPU has 2 port then use the 'second' port .One sits in front and easy to reach and de other one sits deeper in the CPU and that the one you need to use for your programming unit

Thanks, guys. That's the answer.

What threw me is that we have a data management PC plugged into the port I need. I (foolishly) assumed that the free port was the one used for programming... :confused: