IEEE Standard for VSD Harmonics

grnick50

Lifetime Supporting Member
Dear friends across the pond,

Does anyone know which one is the IEEE standard regarding the harmonics performance of the VSDs?

Regards

Nik

There is no IEEE standard for "the harmonics performance of the VSDs".

IEEE 519-2014 is the current standard for harmonics limits at the PCC of a facility. How you get there is up to you.

Dear Jraef,

I have a spec that says that:
"The harmonics that will be produced by the operation of the VSD will be within the limits defined by the IEEE".

So I am looking something from IEEE that sets the limits of the harmonics produced due to the operation of a VSD.
I realised that IEEE519 has to do with the facility and not the VSD itself.

I am not familiar with IEEE standards so I am trying to understand where I should look into.

It has become standard practice in some industries to apply IEEE-519 harmonic distortion limits to the distortion at the input lugs of a VFD. This tries to turn what is meant to be a system specification as identified by jraef into a component spec. It's wrong, but you have to deal with it.

As a general rule if you have less than 5% TDD (Total Dynamic Distortion) at full load at the line side of the VFD you should be fine. That usually means an active front end or a 12-pulse VFD. Contact your VFD supplier - they should be familiar with working with this misapplication of IEEE-519.