IEEE tag naming standard?

what is IMHO? But if there is no prints, and they are lost or non existent or you cant get them from the OEM than page numbers and reference doesn't help you with wiring. There is a thousand ways to do things. I just try to make it more maintenance friendly. I just know about fighting through panels with no labels on any wires and there all red, no prints, no nothing. I have even fought through OEM panels labeled as you describe which is still a nightmare when something doesn't work and the labels don't make sense and the plc program tags don't either. I am sure it has a rime and reason but that doesn't help me when I am trying to trouble shoot something that is a monster with tons of I/O. I agree about prints but if I want a print I have to make it my self most of the time do to being lost or what ever happened to it. From your responses I am looking at it the wrong way. But I am just trying to fix issues that where in place before I was there right or wrong. At least there is something to go by.

regardless of the path you take, keep it disciplined!

I agree. Whatever naming standard you choose, just keep it consistent. I've found it far more difficult/important to get agreement & be consistent with everyone using the system. And that's especially true when time is running short or during commissioning.

Plan for way more devices than you think; nothing like adding your 100th to the tag scheme "A01_##"
Are you going to be happy with "A100_100" and that it alpha sorts higher than "A11_11"?