IFix 5.5 Beginner Question

Secpcb

I have a line with an AB SLC5/05 and an IFix HMI that was designed poorly. I have the development package, copied the program folder to my XP laptop (refused to install on Win7 and Win10) Created the new integers and bits in RSLogix, and exported the .EAS file.

In IFix I went to discovery and opened the EAS file, select all the AI new tags, but when I run All Wizards and get to the driver portion and select the ABR driver the next screen only shows Channel0 with no sub entries and the Next button grayed out. If I select Run ABR Power Tool, use local server it shows "Connection Established" then if I click on anything on the window that pops up I get:
Error refreshing RSLinx Driver List:
"API is not initialized"

Is there something I missed in all the manuals? Do I have to be online with the PLC? If I change this on my laptop will the driver have a different name when I put the new project on the PC in the unit? Do all the changes have to be done on the PC in the unit?