importance of plcs

mubinulhaq

I want to ask "is plcs programming is usefull for a person working in industry as technologyt and he get job easily if he has plc programming skill". please!

Job Security and ease of placement

Typically, Programming PLC's tends to be the kind of job a person who loves to fix things does. It often involves long hours and lots of support work. I love it and would do it for free, but fortunately for my family, I get paid well to do it. It is not the kind of job the average person would enjoy, or even tolerate. If you get high on job satisfaction then it can't be beat. Good luck on your conclusions about programming plc's.

Not sure about that...

and he get job easily...
Knowledge of the languages of PLC programing is one thing, but the experience of what you will be programming is another thing... This only comes with a lot of time in the field with many areas of automation... You may get a job easier than someone who has no knowledge of PLCs, however to keep that job requires much more experience...;)

As with all good questions, the answer is: "It depends".

If you are interested in automation and process control and instrumentation, then the answer to the first question is "yes".

If you are interested in power distribution and generation, the answer is "a little".

If you are interested in sound card design for cell phones, the answer is "no".

Don't pick a curriculum just because it is easy to get a job in a specific area! Forty years is a long career. Decide what you want to do, and them pick the course of study and type of employment accordingly.

Getting the first job is never easy, but if you go into it with enthusiasm as well as education it can be done.

If you are interested in power distribution and generation, the answer is "a little".
In Ozz that is a BIG yes. A lot of the larger older power stations are not PLC controlled but generally the new ones are.

In our state (NSW) the distribution control and monitoring system ia also PLC based. The brand generally used by these people is Toshiba.

Knowledge of the languages of PLC programing is one thing, but the experience of what you will be programming is another thing...
In that statement is a keyword..Knowledge.
I want to ask "is plcs programming is usefull for a person working in industry as technologyt and he get job easily if he has plc programming skill". please!
Simple answer is NO, it requires more.

How do you wire a motor to start WYE/STAR then run DELTA?
WHAT is ASCII?
What is the difference between RS232 and RS485?
When to use 2 hand controls?
When to use safety relays?
What are fieldbus?
Explain Sink and Source.
Whats the difference between NPN and PNP in reference to a plc.
When is frequency relevant?
What is.....?

Its a job that usually derives from having mulitple skills/training.

rsdoran said:
Its a job that usually derives from having mulitple skills/training.

Not to mention a fairly diverse knowledge of manufacturing processes. If you can't understand how the process is supposed to work, how can you program it?

Is PLC programming useful for a person working in an industry?

My answer would be YES. And I agree wiht rsdoran, it requires a lot more knowledge other than just PLC programming. But If you are determined to learn, you can always do it by research and training.Just like any "PLC experts" they stared at "square one".

Can one get a job easily if he has PLC programming skills?

Your PLC programming skills may help but it really depends on the knowldege that you have with respect to the job requirement needed.

I find that a combination of knowledge & diverse experience usually sell quicker than 'I have one, but not the other'. By diverse experience, I am speaking of being in the same field (automation for me) but experienced in different types of facilities.

Last edited:
BobB said:
In Ozz that is a BIG yes. A lot of the larger older power stations are not PLC controlled but generally the new ones are.

In our state (NSW) the distribution control and monitoring system ia also PLC based. The brand generally used by these people is Toshiba.

I'd agree with BobB on this one. I know a few people who work for DTE Energy, and they do a lot of stuff with PLCs.

The brand generally used by these people is Toshiba.

Hmmm BobB, strange that!
About a year ago I had to go to a power station with a fault - and that was controlled by a Toshiba PLC. It was an obsolete model and I offered :) to upgrade it to a different and current brand. No, they said - we use Toshiba throughout.
How did Toshiba with there antiquated and clunky PLC's and software ever get into the power industry? (make no wonder there are power cuts)

I had to use the 'squeak box' to program it -
(the handheld programmer for toshiba's makes a little squeak each time you press a key - so it was named by the site engineers - the squeak box :) )

About a year ago I had to go to a power station with a fault - and that was controlled by a Toshiba PLC. It was an obsolete model and I offered :) to upgrade it to a different and current brand. No, they said - we use Toshiba throughout.

Must have made a concerted push on a market segment.

Maybe there is Toshiba PLCs used in Power industry because the rest of the equipment is Japanese also?

Seems to the way it works sometimes.