In need of usb to rs232 adapter

John La

New plc programming computer has window 10 pro 64 bit and tried USA-19hs adapter but drivers are not up to snuff (no signature no whql certified) so drivers say errors. Any suggestions as which brands of usb to rs232 adapter is compatible with this os

I and all the other engineers in my company use a Prolific USB to serial adaptor and have never found an application in which it does not work. We use Apple hosts and VM's ranging from Windows XP through Windows 7, 8, 10 and Windows Server 2019. I've successfully used it to connect a Windows Server 2019 VM, through an Apple host, to a machine so old that the software (reportedly) only supported Windows '95.

Ok thanks that what I was think to chose one that uses the pl2303hxd chipset because the usa-19hs uses a ti chipset

Window 10 is very picky with new drivers they have to be whql certified for window 10 or it will say driver missing or corrupted the only chipsets in the rs 232 adapters that I see that say they have whql drivers for windows 10 is the ftdi chipset ft232rl and the prolific chipset pl2303. Also the USA-19hs comes recommended by many and it won’t work on 10 but will on 7.

I have used many from Amazon for example the Ugreen very heap, well made with the PL2303 chip set works on win 10 never had any problems.

To Abigail. If you are using the keyspan with windows 10 which driver are you using because I can’t get this brand new one to work with windows 10 can get it to work on windows 7

To Abigail. If you are using the keyspan with windows 10 which driver are you using because I can’t get this brand new one to work with windows 10 can get it to work on windows 7

You may have to obtain the driver from their site and manually install it. The one I use is labelled 'Windows 2008 Server R2, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10_v4'

Thanks Norm!

John La,
What are you doing with it? we have several different chip sets that we use in our cables and some work better than others for different protocols, the cable Norm pointed out uses a CH340/341 chipset and works great with several of the large brands of PLC's/Drives, Etc

We also offer a lifetime guarantee that no one else offers so for under 25 bucks and free shipping its hard to beat, its also plug and play for must builds of W10

Mark

I hardly run into rs232 devices anymore. But if you do any old upgrades you might run into it

DTECH 10 Feet USB 2.0 to RS232 DB9 Serial Port Adapter Cable with FTDI Chipset Supports Windows 10 8 7 and Mac Linux

Also get some gender changers db9 and db25
Also get some DB9 to RJ45 so that you can swap pins
pin pusher too

thank you all i got the tripplite USA-19HS to work but had to modify my security for devices i have tried all the drivers that are available for it but they dont work unless i do this hopefully they will release new drivers to solve this so i can run with the security back on if not i will use it like this untill i find a new one that will work with windows 10 device security protocol on not off http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/images/smilies/furious.gif