Injection Molder

injection molding control

Though there are lots of controller packages available for recommendation, we haven't seen yet what the basics of Eaa628's system are. Some questions were briefly touched on, but more info was needed.

1) Is this already controlled by a PLC or is it relay logic?
2) Is it direct cylinder lock-up on the clamp end or toggle lock-up?
3) Is there already any type of position feedback on either the clamp end or the injection end?
4) Is there any proportional control on either end?
5) What type of material will most likely be molded? (type of heating scheme)

These are just a few I can think of sitting here at my bench. I did service for a major molding machine manufacturer and was quite impressed with the AB system they used on the US machines, and the Mitsubishi system on the Japenese built machines. Though I am not an expert by any stretch, if anyone would like to PM, I can hook you up with the name of the EE at that company.

Bob

There are many variations I.E. hydraulic and toggle mostly VanDorn. I think I'll use a Scoremaster system it will do what I want. I want it to be a complete system with all the bells and whistles. Waggs you must have worked for UBE.

Hey Eric,
After UBE there were a number of shops along the way to meaningful employment (still searching, btw). While on the road I got to see many different types, brands, etc. I have to say that I liked UBE the best...even after not being there for 2-3yrs now. I got to see many different machines run side by side. I was blessed(?) with being assigned mainly to the servo line of machines...now those were awesome. I never knew an electric motor could ramp up that fast or decel that quickly and smoothly. And talk about runaway speed, but thats another story that I can laugh about now. Yeah, seen my share of VanDorns and the puddles on the floor...and Speedy Dri has to have a hand in it somewhere. All in fun though, mostly. I have other favorites but I won't offend anyone more tonight. Catch you guys later...this forum rocks for keeping me awake here at night...thanks guys!~!~!

Bob

I was in injection molding for ~13 years, and have never heard of UBE. I just visited their website, and I still don't recognize them. We had 60+ machines (150 thru 1500 ton) where I worked. The majority were VanDorn, but we also have a dozen or so Nissei, and 2 big old Cincinnati clunkers. The last few years I was there, we retired quite a few VanDorns that were replaced with Netstals. It was nice to see less Vista Green in the plant for a change... :p

It took them a while to get it right, but the new all-electric Roboshots from Milacron are pretty cool. One of our customers has purchased quite a few, and I was impressed with their capabilities. And no more oil leaks!... (y)

beerchug

-Eric