Input to Beckhoff Analog card

Roman10s

How would I connect a 5K potentiometer to a beckhoff analog input card EL 3061 (http://www.beckhoff.ca/english.asp?ethercat/el4031.htm) and 24VDC power supply?

Essentially I understand the following (correct me if I am wrong):
- 24VDC from Supply to + of potentiometer.
- Variable output voltage of potentiometer (COM) to channel 1 (input) of beckhoff card.
- Now for 0V, should I have the negative of potentiometer connect to channel 3 of beckhoff card or it must be connected to 0V and from same 0V terminal to channel 3 of the analog card?

It won't damage the card, but since the input is 0-10v you will reach full scale long before the pot is fully turned. Use a EL9510 to get a 10v supply for the pot. The EL4031 is a -10..+10v analog output.

Here is how you can make it work:

Connect a 8.2k resistor (or something close) to terminal 6 (+24V)
Connect the other side of the resistor to one of the outer legs of the potentiometer
Connect the other outer leg of the potentiometer to terminal 2 (0V)
Connect the center leg of the potentiometer to terminal 1 (Input 1)

If you put a meter between terminal 1 and 2, then rotate the potentiometer, you should see the voltage vary from 0-9V (assuming you used a 8.2k resistor)

If you want to get the full 0-10V, then you need to find a 7k resistor.

the gnd for the signal is on 3 (not on 2) however many people put a connection from 2 to 7 making gnd 0 Volt.
the rest of archie is correct.