Interface Barcode Reader/Printer to MicroLogix 1400

Hi there,

I'd like to integrate a barcode printer /reader into my systems. When customer pays I want to issue a barcode printed reciept. Customer them scans it upon return. Has anyone ever done this?

Does such a thing exist?Any recommendations of hardware?

Yes there are several ways to do this.
Do you have an HMI? How many barcodes do you have to keep in a buffer? How long do you need to keep that barcode in memory? What type of barcode are you reading and printing?

How do you plan to accept payments? How will your payment to tell the PLC that a payment has been made with some verification.

I have about a hundred more questions that once you answer them you will probably have the answers you want.

Yes there are several ways to do this.
Do you have an HMI? How many barcodes do you have to keep in a buffer? How long do you need to keep that barcode in memory? What type of barcode are you reading and printing?

How do you plan to accept payments? How will your payment to tell the PLC that a payment has been made with some verification.

I have about a hundred more questions that once you answer them you will probably have the answers you want.

Hi Jeff,

Yes I have a HMI. I am using an Allen Bradley Panel View Plus for development but will change to a cheaper alternative down the road. Allen Bradley HMIs are too expensive and we will be buying lots of them!I will however stick with the Micrologic range of PLCs.

I expect to keep no more than 50 barcodes in memory at any time. Barcode will only be in memory until customer returns and scans their barcode to open door.

I have no idea what type of barcode I am printing. I have no experience with this type of hardware. Perhaps you can recommend a device that prints barcodes and reads them. I assume this will be done serially?

I am accepting cash payments via the PLC. I have coin and bill accepters wired to digital inputs. The PLC handles the totalising etc and when cash is correct performs an action and issues a barcode/reciept.

Does this make sense?

My only experience with bar codes is as follows:
Printer: cobra ( do not recall model), reader: accusort model 22. Both use rs232 standard serial. I have use them with AB plcs.