International Remote Access

RBergmann

Currently I use cellular wireless technology to monitor, program the PLC/HMI and send alarm email messages from our remote sites back to the home office. The overhead after the GSM modem/router purchase is the monthly charge for a SIM card with a static IP.

We may have an opportunity to sell to Australia. We'd like to approximate the same setup with a company like Telestra (or whomever) providing the SIM. I've been told we have to have an intermediary MVNO (mobile virtual network operator) company.

Anyone have experience with this type of setup?

You can use the **** solution. It´s free (we use it all the time).

Look for COSY 141 in Google

http://www.****.biz/en/****-cosy-141.html?ewp=33

I don´t know why the link doesn't work. Why all the **** instead of the name of the product???

Seems the **** = ****.

Reviewed the information and looks pretty cool.

But ... the big issue for me is that our product does not sit on the factory floor where we can tie into an existing network but may be in the middle of a field or similar location, so we use a cellular modem/router to provide the internet access required for remote monitoring, control and programming. This works well in the U.S. but don't know how a similar communications architecture would work in Australia or the Philippines from U.S. access. That is, if we get a SIM with an IP (and I understand static IP addresses are difficult to get outside of the U.S.) can I access the system by simply entering the WAN IP address of the modem/router in a browser or port forward in the modem/router to the device I wish to program from my PLC/HMI development software as I do here in the U.S.?

I think it originated from a spam bot years ago, so it was added to the profanity filter.

Old trick on a forum to get round it, change the colour. Don't know a way to fix the web link however.

I think it originated from a spam bot years ago, so it was added to the profanity filter.

Old trick on a forum to get round it, change the colour. Don't know a way to fix the web link however.

Thank you for the information.

The best way to do this would be to use a sat comm modem. The 2 major players in this field are Orbcomm and Iridium.

We use Iridium and I have never used Orbcomm products so I can't vouch for them.

There are many vendors that make modems, Transceivers,etc that work on Iridium and Iridium makes their own line. Orbcomm is the same way.

You can get Cellular modems that have global approvals and can get them working most anywhere but coverage is not allways as good as here in states and in some cases it's much much better than we have here in the states.

I have never done anything in OZ so I can't tell you how well it is.

From my experience going the cellualr route is more of a PITA than it's worth if the connection quality and reliability are important to you I say go Sat Comm and choose Iridium based products.

It's now evident that I did not state my question clearly. The hardware is the easy part of the equation. I've used Sierra Wireless, Digi, Cradlepoint and tried out the Phoenix Contact wireless cellular modem/routers. Reliable connectivity from the U.S. to Australia is the question.

I have been told that I cannot merely request a SIM card from an Australian provider with a static IP. That I must use a third party MVNO (mobile virtual network operator) to permit the connectivity I need. I guess for the way I need the communications to perform, all GSM networks are not necessarily compatible. I'm not sure why.

Is it difficult to get SIM cards with static IP addresses in Australia or the Philippines?