Is DeviceNet version specific?

AutomationTechBrian

Lifetime Supporting Member
I need to dust off RSNetworks DeviceNet next week for a customer, which means I need to get it loaded on my new laptop. I see my old laptop was running version 26, so that's what was used last time. Is DeviceNet version specific, like Studio 5000? I need to figure out which version(s) to download and install.

DeviceNet.jpg

The simple answer is no: You don't need RSNetworx v28 to work with a ControlLogix that has v28.x firmware.

But there was a big compatibility split at v21, due to a significant change in how RSLinx Classic registered EDS files. You couldn't mix pre-v21 RSLinx and RSLogix with post-v21 RSNetworx, just because all the RSNetworx features that relied on EDS files would not work.

The 1756-DNB hasn't changed much in the past few years, but I think I'd just go ahead and download v28, and expect it to work well with the v26 project files.