Jenglish

I've worked all ends of this spectrum. I have been amused and disgusted by Jenglish manuals. I have also had to convert (note I didn't say "translate" - I just had to figure out how to get something to work!) drawings and documents from French and German into English. I have also had to try to assist in converting some of my documents into a foreign language. This is indeed a humbling experience. One can only hope that the translator, as in my case, is endowed with both patience and a sense of humor.

I'm still amused, but I've gotten over being mad at crummy translations (well, most of the time anyway) for a one/off or limited usage document, like a set of project specific drawings. For these I'm willing to cut a lot of slack in translation. However, I have no patience for a major manufacturer trying to break into the American market and being unwilling to spend the money to get a decent translator and proof reader! It makes me wonder about the quality of the products, not just the manual!

Back
Top Bottom