Keystone 051 modulating Valve

Ones_Zeros

Hey Guys,
I have an Keystone 051 modulating actuator that I control through Allen Bradley Compact Logic PLC, this actuator is connected to a butterfly valve

I need to make this actuator open slowly, I have contacted the manufactor and looks like I can change this to 38 secs/90°

Is there a better way I can control the speed of how fast this actuator opens this valve in the PLC? I dont want someone to slam this valve open because this is whats currently happening.

Thanks alot

If the voltage to power the actuator is 100 to 240 VAC, you can use a soft-starter to control the ramp time.

Valve operators often move too fast for my applications as well. I used to order 60 seconds per 90 degree travel, which was usually fine. I used Auma and RCS operators, which could be ordered that way.

You already have the operator, so you are stuck. The best approach is to use a ramp function for the analog signal to the valve. One way, not the most elegant, is to use a resetting timer, say 1 second, and increment or decrement the signal by 0.25 mA (16/60 = 0.27). Keep doing that until the feedback signal or the output signal reach your desired position.

One caution - the Keystone actuators I've used don't have a brake. The motor tends to "flywheel" after the contactor opens, causing some overshoot. This can interfere with accuracy.