Kids safety via Automation

sandeepmishra

Summer vacations are going on, most of the kids in India would be off from school for their summer vacations. As a parent you’ d be planning for summer getaways however have you thought of child safety for the days when your kids would be home while you are away in the office? For working parents in nuclear families, this is indeed worrisome!Let's have a look at*A road to Kids’ Safety for Working Parents

When I was a kid we got summer passes to the nearest pool, an invisible 20 mile leash on the bicycles, and we spent much of our time playing light contact sports like American tackle football and dirt clod wars, seeing who could walk the slowest across the blacktop barefoot, skateboarding, swimming, building treehouses. We were the generation who could be trusted with yard darts and power tools, and we outnumbered the dangerous individuals and the danger in general 25:1.

When I was a kid we got summer passes to the nearest pool, an invisible 20 mile leash on the bicycles, and we spent much of our time playing light contact sports like American tackle football and dirt clod wars, seeing who could walk the slowest across the blacktop barefoot, skateboarding, swimming, building treehouses. We were the generation who could be trusted with yard darts and power tools, and we outnumbered the dangerous individuals and the danger in general 25:1.

+1
Also worked in the barn, fields, house. Never heard of a bicycle helmet and didn't have one for football either. Went hunting with the bow and arrows, or .22 rifle when ammo was afforded.
A few cuts and bruses, but no one was mamed or died. It was a miracle that any of us made it, but then we encouraged the Angles to join us by being respectful in what we did and how we spoke. :rolleyes:

a couple of years ago I asked the 20-something internet cable guy, "When was the last time you had to slow your service van down because the neighborhood kids were playing in the street?"

he thought for a few minutes and then said, "I've NEVER had to do that."

I'm 67 – and when I first started driving I was taught to keep an eye under the cars parked beside the street – watching for little feet to come running out ...

I seriously can't remember the last time I saw kids playing outside ...

I guess they're all inside now – watching TV and playing video games ...

a couple of years ago I asked the 20-something internet cable guy, "When was the last time you had to slow your service van down because the neighborhood kids were playing in the street?"

I remember distinctly playing street "two below" tag football where the school zone end zone signs were our end zones and the pavement seams were the down markers. Football was Nerf, all passing two on two or 3 on 3 with 5 Mississippi rushing (the passer had five seconds before the defense could cross scrimmage). When parents came home from work they would stop and wait for us to finish any play in progress and apologize or at least wave for having to interrupt our game as they drove through between plays.

Peter Nachtwey said:
You forgot climbing tree and playing all sorts for 'dare' type of games.
Yes, we played in the street all the time.
Yes, we broke some bones but survived.

I climbed a 100' pine once. The sway up there was so strong, I had to basically bear hug it with my denim jacket to keep from getting thrown off when it returned. I was lucky, only broke a few fingers. My brother was the daredevil. He fell through a frozen pond on a dare once, and would often just go into animal mode and catch a wild animal he saw. He could be mid-sentence, then take off through the trees and come back with a rabbit or a duck or a snake. Yes, we did suffer some ER visits, stitches and a cast here and there.

I remember testing my first pocket knife blade for sharpness on my thumb.... and my friend getting the home make spear embedded in his leg. Swimming in the river as a big gang of kids with no lifeguards..only going home when it got dark.. the list is endless