Kinetix 5500 - Bus Regulator Thermal Limit/Adding External Shunt

Scytes

Good evening all! I hope you folks are doing alright today, as I've got a situation that I believe I've come up with a solution to but I wanted to get more experienced brains to give me some feedback if you're so willing.

I'm using a Kinetix 5500 to run a robot, there is only Joint 1 and Joint 2 (2 axis of motion) Joint 1 has a considerable amount of braking to do and as you can imagine as I raise speeds to keep up with the incoming flow of product I find out that the internal shunt resistor isn't up to task for the speed I need.

In the short term (2 days) I am going to raise the thermal threshold to 120-130% for this and see if I can limp by without too much trouble, though I'm hesitant to do this as even though it is an air conditioned enclosure I do not want to risk damaging the drive or worse by applying this bandaid.

Long term I am going to place the external resistor 2097-R6 and no longer rely on the internal shunt as I believe the stock internal resistor is only rated at 50W where as the external shunt is rated up to 150W.

I've verified that there is no mechanical or electrical reasons for this to happen and I've run many many tests where it is only once I run at the speed I need to achieve for say 5-6 hours does this fault occur.

I suppose I'm looking for either agreements or dissenting opinions to make sure I'm on the right path as Kinetix is one area I have not dealt in much.