Know a good PC forum ? (not PLC !)

Jesper, What NIC are you using?? Make and model? Are you posting to the forum and a different computer?? Do you have more then 1 NIC in the mother board?

JesperMP said:
"ipconfig /all" reports
Windows IP configuration:...........
host name: DISA_CIM_01
primary DNS suffix: (empty)
node type: unknown
IP routing enabled: no
WINS proxy enabled: no
Ethernet adapter local area connection:...........
Media state: media disconnected
Description: Intel(R) Pro 1000/CT network connection
Physical address: 00-30-05-7C-7C-81

My Computers will not ping theirselves without a cable hooked up.

just_lionel said:
My Computers will not ping theirselves without a cable hooked up.

My PC's running Win98 and 2000 will ping themselves without a cable hooked up. I can't test this on XP SP2 until I get home as my home laptop is running XP SP2.

That might be the key to Jesper's question..... XP SP2, perhaps it's to do with the security features in SP2.

If no one confirms this by the time I get home (about another 1 or so till I get there), then I will try it at home and see what I get.

Paul

ping pong...

Im not sure about SP2 But this article talks about ping problems in SP1. Microsoft TID #330559 The article says the problem was fixed in SP2. This applies to pinging IP addresses, try the host name. If problem is still there use the motherboard network diagnostic program to see if the interface is alive. Then go into the my network places and check the status tab. It should tell you the cable is not connected and under details can tell you some valuable info.. beyond this , My XP machine is in the shop in pieces...:) Good luck! Oh, if you upgraded to SP2 and it just quit working, you may need a new driver for the network interface...
Bruce

A little update..

I changed my IP address on my laptop to a fixed address, (172.18.100.1, subnet 255.255.0.0), then with my network cable removed, I attempted to ping my network card, I got the same reply as Jesper... 'Destination host unreachable'. I then plugged my network cable in and retried the ping, this time I got a reply.

It seems that, unlike the other two platforms I tried, XP SP2 requires a cable connected.

Paul

Thanks to all, I got it solved, and because of you guys :geek: .

It turns out that there HAS to be a cable attached to the port in order to ping.
My setup is a new PC (not my regular PC), connected to a S7 315-2PN via the ethernet port.
It seems that I got confused because I have used a straight cable between my regular PC and the PLC where it worked. Connecting the same with the other PC didnt work. When I switched to a crossed cable, then it worked again.
Also, I have been pinging "myself" before with and without a cable attached, so I figured that it didnt matter (wrong).

It looks like the "troublesome" NIC cannot ping without a cable attached, and it cannot switch between straight/crossed.
It is an intel i82547EI.

Thanks again all (y)

edit:
Maybe the reason is that I have XP SP2 on the "difficult" PC, whereas I have XP SP1a on my regular PC.
But I did turn off the firewall just to try something.

Last edited: