Koyo PLC to SAE J1939 protocol

usie33

I was wondering what my best option is for an upcoming project. I have an exsisting DirectSoft 205 PLC with a D2-250-1 CPU. I will need to control an engine start/stop, rpm and monitor some other things on the engine. It uses SAE J1939 protocol. I was thinking of using a protocol converter that would be from the SAE J1939 to Modbus RTU to communicate with the PLC. Is this the easiest way of achieving control of the engine via the PLC? I'm new to the canbus protocol. Any help would be great. Thanks

Usie33,

I had this SAME issue that I am dealing with now. Save yourself some problems and buy a "Pyramid Solutions" Ethernet to J1939 Gateway! It will do all the comms protocols from Modbus to J1939 and their support rocks!

Here's the link==> https://pyramidsolutions.com/network-connectivity/products/gateways/ethernet-to-j1939/

These things are great and very fast to use from what I can tell. I hope you will contact them. Talk to a man named Glenn Beal and tell him Brian sent you.

good luck!

Brian

Thanks guys, I'll defiantly have to go the converter route has the Plc is existing. And thanks Brian I saw those cover tears while doing some reacher on them. Now I have to decide which will work best, going to the PLC with modbus or to the HMI. So far I just need to start/stop, bring the engine up to a constant speed and monitor some vital signs on it. I would prefer to route it to the PLC and continue to just feed info to the HMI.
Thanks again for the replies.

Wow autocorrect was killing me on that last post. Brian I'm curious if you recall the price on the converter from Pyramid Solutions?

No problem Usie,

Glad to help. Keep in mind the Gateway JUST transfers data between Modbus protocols and the J1939. So whether you use and HMI or PLC - as long as it has Ethernet connection and has Modbus protocols - you're golden.

Now, I am NOT familiar with Koyo PLC's or their HMI's and I'm not sure which is more efficient or better - but I would THINK sending all the data to your PLC and then having the PLC simply display that data to any HMI of your choosing would be the simplest. But the guys at Pyramid maybe able to help better.

The reason I think the PLC is best route is you will HAVE to set up a Modbus Master so the Gateway can be "directed" when to transfer the data between the two protocols.

Yes, sending the codes to the engine for start/stop - hold at RPM and pick up your engine data should be straight forward PGN messages to and from the engine I would think.

Give Glenn at Pyramid a call and he'll hook you up.

Brian

Usie,

the Gateway cost us $500 USD I THINK...... but not more than that - it could be even cheaper than that - I am just not able to find receipt at the moment!

Brian