L30ERM & L32E...what is ERM & E stands for..?

gspatil

hello experts...having a simple question ...L30ERM & L32E...what is ERM & E stands for in Compactlogix processors series?

The E in L32E is for Ethernet. They released a "C" that was for ControlNet.

ERM in the L30ERM is "Ethernet, Ring, Motion". In other words, the processor has Ethernet, 2 ports for Device Level Ring, and supports Motion over Ethernet.

The numbers just don't add up?...

If you are comparing these two controllers with the intention of selecting one over the other for a particular application, then it may be important to also point out to you that the 1769-L32E is an older and somewhat less capable controller than the 1769-L30ERM. The L32E is of the older CompactLogix Modular controller vintage whereas the L30ERM is a member of the newer CompactLogix 5370 controller family and so it benefits from some of the newer features available.

Some specifications to compare...

The L30ERM has 1MB user memory whereas the L32E has 750kb.

The L30ERM supports CIP Motion up to 4 axes, the L32E does not.

The L30ERM dual Ethernet supports Linear or DLR network topologies, the L32E does not.

The L30ERM has a super capacitor, the L32E has a battery.

The L30ERM supports up to 2GB expandable SD Card nonvolatile memory, the L32E supports 128MB using CF Card.

The L30ERM supports a maximum of 256 CIP connections and 120 TCP/IP connections, the L32E supports 32 CIP connections and 32 TCP/IP connections.

However...

The L30ERM supports a maximum of 8 local I/O modules, the L32E supports 16.

The L30ERM does not have an RS-232 serial port, the L32E does.

The L32E is quite capable, in its own right, and we still have some in service, but the L30ERM is, for the most part, a superior option. Having said that, the L33ERM would be a more comparable controller to the older L32E as it supports a similar 16 local I/O modules. The L33ERM also has the addition of 2MB user memory and 8 CIP Motion axes.

There are also even newer CompactLogix 5380 controllers available which are classed as Performance controllers and are placed above the 5370 family. They utilize more powerful processors and a newer 5069 I/O platform and can achieve timestamping per point in the order of 1 nanosecond resolution.

If you were to tell us why you are inquiring about these controllers then it may help put some context into the advice we might provide and you can then, perhaps, make a more informed decision, if indeed there is one to be made here.

Regards,
George

If you are comparing these two controllers with the intention of selecting one over the other for a particular application, then it may be important to also point out to you that the 1769-L32E is an older and somewhat less capable controller than the 1769-L30ERM. The L32E is of the older CompactLogix Modular controller vintage whereas the L30ERM is a member of the newer CompactLogix 5370 controller family and so it benefits from some of the newer features available.

Some specifications to compare...

The L30ERM has 1MB user memory whereas the L32E has 750kb.

The L30ERM supports CIP Motion up to 4 axes, the L32E does not.

The L30ERM dual Ethernet supports Linear or DLR network topologies, the L32E does not.

Regards,
George

Thanks George....Really all info was helpful for me as I am beginner...thanks a lot