Compact Logix L32E Devicenet

Christoph

All, I have a system on a CompactLogix L32E with Devicenet. I need to flash the 1769-SDN Devicenet module to a higher rev. after flashing up the processor. Can that be done thru the Ethernet port across the backplane?

yes,
if existing system make sure you have your latest devicenet configuration backup before you attempt this firmware update. Make sure you upload every device in system beside the config of the scanner module.

No it will not.
Use RsNetworx for devicenet to upload the devicenet configuration for the scanner and each individual device.

Since you said "A normal upload from processor should capture all that shouldn't it?"
Btw, forgot to mention you will have to download the devicenet configuration after you upgrade the firmware on the devicenet scanner card. I believe downloading new firmware will wipe the devicenet configuration off the scanner card.

Better safe then sorry.

Someone else please chime in, its been awhile since i did devicenet.

The DeviceNet configuration, including the scanlist and data maps (in the -SDN) and configuration of all of the slave devices is stored in the RSNetworx for DeviceNet (*.DNT) project file.

So you definitely have to connect with RSNetworx and upload from the 1769-SDN scanner, at a minimum, before flash upgrading the module. A firmware upgrade will erase all of its configuration and reset it to default settings.

I recommend also uploading from all the slave devices on the network, and creating an HTML network configuration document from RSNetworx so you have all the information you need even if something goes wrong with the upload/save.

Uploading and downloading and editing the CompactLogix program does not affect the DeviceNet configuration or scanlist.

Two more comments:

DeviceNet Safety systems do actually include some of their configuration in the CompactLogix/ControlLogix user program. Ordinary DeviceNet systems do not.

You *should* be able to flash upgrade the 1769-SDN through the CompactLogix backplane, but I think you need the DeviceNet to be powered and active with at least one device other than the scanner connected to it. It has something to do with the state of the DeviceNet CIP object during firmware download, since ordinarily that download is done from the DeviceNet side.

I checked the Knowledgebase and it refreshed my memory. There was a CompactBus firmware bug in some versions of these controllers and scanners that could impact backplane bridging.

The affected versions for your CompactLogix family were v18.11, v18.12, v19.11, v20.11, v20.12

The Knowledgebase advises:

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/462381/

1769-L2x and 1769-L3x, L4x controllers need to be flashed to v19.015 or v20.013. (This anomaly doesnt exist in those firmware versions )
CompactLogix 5370 L2 and L3 controllers need to be flashed to v20.014 or higher within major revision 20 or v21.011 or higher.

1769-SDN needs to be flashed to v4.004.
Flashing should only be done via Ethernet backplane if the controller version is V21 or higher. Otherwise need to flash via DeviceNet using 1784-U2DN module or similar device.

So in your case with a 1769-L32E, you only have up to Version 20 firmware available. You should do the 1769-SDN firmware upgrade via the DeviceNet port, not across the backplane. There is a risk of bricking the 1769-SDN if you try to flash upgrade it across the backplane.

Last edited: