laminate two fabrics

If this where one of my systems I would work out the mechanical details first. No matter what you have designed for the electrical system if the mechanical isn't done right you will right and fight with this system to get it to work half a$$ at best.
+1 here.

Just my two cents with my personal web handling preferences...

I prefer to make a virtual master in the PLC for all drives to follow. The master reference is then a solid, no noise, signal for all to follow. So I would have a 4-20 going to every drive. From a troubleshooting point of view, this simplifies things down to a solid master signal, tension feedback, and a drive command signal. It also puts everything into the PLC for you to see and track. I've also found that having one drive try to follow another drive's feedback signal produces poor results compared to the virtual master for all approach.

The lower nip roll would be my line master - the one drive that strictly follows my virtual master with no tension feedback or speed compensation etc. However, since you don't have any wrap on that lower nip roll, to make it the master would require the nip to always be closed. The master roll must set a firm mechanical speed to the web. In web control, if the material is slipping on a driven roll - you've got problems - don't pass go - don't collect $200 - stop and fix the slippage. Yeah, make sure the mechanics of the system are solid - otherwise you will be playing all sorts of games at startup when they ask you "can't you just program soemthing"?

I would drive the upper Nip roll but run that drive in torque mode. Essentially, try to make that roll be weightless or just barely driven. That should allow that roll to truly follow the bottom, master roll. I don't think you want it to pull the web or drag the web since either case may cause wrinkles.

I think you should be driving your Fabric 2 Unwind and it should have a dancer for reliable tension control. I would think that you don't want slack or much tension in the upper web as it goes through the nip.

Good luck.

If this where one of my systems I would work out the mechanical details first. No matter what you have designed for the electrical system if the mechanical isn't done right you will right and fight with this system to get it to work half a$$ at best.

Agree with that 100%.