Laptop system requirement for RSLOGIX5000

ramzy2277

Hi all,

I am new to the PLC world and I am about to start a new training specialize program to get trained on ALLEN BRALDLY PLCs,
I want to buy a new laptop to download the software ,so I need your advise to look for the right system requirement in my new laptop,

I checked the AB website,and found out they ask for Pentium 4 2.8Ghz or Core i5 2.8 Ghz,

first what is the different between pentium 4 and core i5,
second in the market i hardly found affordable laptops with core i5 2.8Ghz, most of them are core i5 1.7.....so need your advise plz.

I cannot speak to exact spec.s,(available in many places), but I can share the following story.
I purchased RsLogix mini this past October and had a new laptop with all the latest specs and windows 8.

Long story short, I was told by a Rockwell tech who I consulted while activating the software, (having had 90 days of techconnect included with the purchase.) "We do not support windows 8." That was this past October. (Most of the directions I was getting on line for configuration and activation and etc.. were from the perspective of windows 7 or earlier.) So I was having a bit of trouble negotiating the 8 for the RsLogix 5000 activation and etc....
I now use an older laptop w/ Windows 7 and have had no issues.

Please don't misunderstand me, I suspect an IT level or "thereabouts" programmer may BE FINE with 8, I have used computers for years and have average skills depending on your perspective in that regard, so that is my humble 2 cents.

Good Luck. This site is great and youtube is a world of help as well as Ron B's site and the PLC professor...and there is a MOUNTAIN of literature on ab.com.
Sounds like you may have someone training you, making much of this a moot point, and if you are totally new the Tags won't be an initial hurdle as you won't be coming from
500, but either way, keep at it and the awesomeness of 5000 is just around the corner for you.
Congratulations on your endeavor.

Jeff

Pretty much any laptop today can run RSLogix. A Pentium 4 is an older generation than the i3, i5, and i7. Even an older Celeron or AMD CPU will work just fine. If it can run Windows you will be fine.

With each new operating system from Microsoft you can run into compatibly issues. The newest Rockwell software is now compatible with Windows 8, but older software may not. Of you can tell us what version of RSLogix you are using or planning to use we can probably offer some specific advice.

OG