Learning PLC programming

Cthibs

I recently have come across an opportunity to work for a friends company, which involves programming PLC's. I am fairly young and have ZERO experience in this field what so ever... I am very interested in pursuing a career in PLC programming. I started taking a class online that teaches the basics. I would just like to know what is the best path I can take to learning how to be able to confidently program PLC's. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Welcome to the Forum!
The first question would be what brand of PLC? Since you are in the USA, I'm going to guess you will be dealing with Allen Bradley/Rockwell PLC's. Let us know if this is incorrect. But if it is indeed AB, then I would suggest you watch this set of videos before you do anything else. It will walk you through the basics of how a plc does it's thing better than 1000 words here will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3tnXu-Eywc&list=PLGzS56y9k4eYr1uS3jPPxGunBTtPcS3Ez

After that, if you check at the top of this page you will find link for "learn plcs", there is a lot of good information there as well. Also, depending on your budget, buy one of the many AB trainer rigs available. Here is a link to one of the many, but please note I have never personally used it, so it really is just for example. There are many vendors selling similar products, so it pays to do your own research.

http://www.theautomationstore.com/a...plc-trainer/?gclid=COi9gMGcms0CFZKCaQodXDkD2A

There are also simulators you can buy, and many of them will come with learn as you go type projects, such as this one. Again, please note I have never personally used it, so it really is just for example. There are many vendors selling similar products, so it pays to do your own research.

http://thelearningpit.com/lp/logixpro.html

But really the best teacher is going to be putting the time in in front of the keyboard, with either a training rig, or a simulator, and working out how to make things do what you want them to do. And also looking at programs that are already working, and figuring out how and why they are doing what they do.
Be prepared for it to get extremely frustrating, and know that you are not the first, or last person to want to throw that f@^%ing box with its blinking lights that never work like you want them to, right off the tallest roof you can find. If you can get past that part of, if there is indeed a "past that part", because I still find myself in that stage often, then it can be a very interesting, and rewarding career.
Always remember that when you get to that "off the roof it goes" point, there are some REALLY REALLY smart and generous people on this forum that will be happy to help you, as long as you can show that you are making an effort on your own, and not just looking for someone to do the hard parts for you.

Just PLEASE PLEASE, never ask what brand of plc, or hmi is the best.... It's not a pretty sight.

Good luck, and happy learning,
Will.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forum!

Be prepared for it to get extremely frustrating, and know that you are not the first, or last person to want to throw that f@^%ing box with its blinking lights that never work like you want them to, right off the tallest roof you can find. If you can get past that part of, if there is indeed a "past that part", because I still find myself in that stage often, then it can be a very interesting, and rewarding career.

Just keep in mind that the PLC will (within its bounds) do EXACTLY WHAT YOU TELL IT TO DO -- which MAY NOT be exactly what YOU THOUGHT that you told it to do.🔨

I am very interested in pursuing a career in PLC programming.
Just be aware that there aren't very many jobs where all you do is program PLCs. A PLC is only one of many tools available to you when you're tasked with putting together a control system for a machine.

While you're learning PLCs, you'll also need to learn how to use motor starters, variable speed drives, hydraulic and pneumatic solenoid valves, inductive and capacitive proximity sensors, photoelectric sensors, HMI panels, pressure, temperature, flow sensors, etc, etc, etc. Furthermore, the tools available to you are constantly changing, so come prepared to spend the rest of your career learning new things.

The biggest thing any programmer needs to know is how does the equipment you are trying to control work. If you don't know what the mechanical limitations, and how the components work individually and as a complete system, then you will never be able to control them. Not knowing how a machine is physically built can lead to equipment damage, injury or even death if the controls are not designed properly. A good programmer needs to not only be able to write a rung that says when these inputs are on turn this out on, but also see in your mind what is actually happening at that piece of equipment too. UNDERSTAND THE PROCESS!!!!

I agree with Will about those YouTube videos, and I even recommend taking his class http://www.ronbeaufort.com/ as it will give you a great understanding of how the PLC sees the world. Once you learn one platform then you will have a good idea how the others work, just learning the nuances of the different software/hardware packages. Again, knowing what you trying to control is as important as how to program those controls.

I recently have come across an opportunity to work for a friends company, which involves programming PLC's.

We sell PLC Trainers... but that said, I would just ask your friend for a spare PLC that they use on their machines, wire it up and start programming, learning the platform that they use would benefit you and them, odds are they can point you in the best direction, they may even send you to school www.ronbeaufort.com (if you are using AB's its a great school)

Just be aware that there aren't very many jobs where all you do is program PLCs. A PLC is only one of many tools available to you when you're tasked with putting together a control system for a machine.

While you're learning PLCs, you'll also need to learn how to use motor starters, variable speed drives, hydraulic and pneumatic solenoid valves, inductive and capacitive proximity sensors, photoelectric sensors, HMI panels, pressure, temperature, flow sensors, etc, etc, etc. Furthermore, the tools available to you are constantly changing, so come prepared to spend the rest of your career learning new things.

+1

Great free resource along these lines: http://www.ibiblio.org/kuphaldt/socratic/sinst/book/liii.pdf

Also these days, You should have a good understanding of the basics of networking(both computer and contact wise!).

Most people who do PLC programming have Instrumentation and Electrical experience, so anything you can learn about that would be helpful. Also in my experience it is very helpful to talk to the workers you are programming for to find out exactly what they want, many programmers only talk to Engineers and that's not what the customer really wants. I try to write programs that are easy to understand and well documented. I don't use latch bits and shift functions if I don't need to. Save a copy of all your projects for future use. Best why to learn is to come up with a project and play with it with Timers and Counters. Good Luck, Craig

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forum!
The first question would be what brand of PLC? Since you are in the USA, I'm going to guess you will be dealing with Allen Bradley/Rockwell PLC's. Let us know if this is incorrect. But if it is indeed AB, then I would suggest you watch this set of videos before you do anything else. It will walk you through the basics of how a plc does it's thing better than 1000 words here will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3tnXu-Eywc&list=PLGzS56y9k4eYr1uS3jPPxGunBTtPcS3Ez

After that, if you check at the top of this page you will find link for "learn plcs", there is a lot of good information there as well. Also, depending on your budget, buy one of the many AB trainer rigs available. Here is a link to one of the many, but please note I have never personally used it, so it really is just for example. There are many vendors selling similar products, so it pays to do your own research.

http://www.theautomationstore.com/a...plc-trainer/?gclid=COi9gMGcms0CFZKCaQodXDkD2A

There are also simulators you can buy, and many of them will come with learn as you go type projects, such as this one. Again, please note I have never personally used it, so it really is just for example. There are many vendors selling similar products, so it pays to do your own research.

http://thelearningpit.com/lp/logixpro.html

But really the best teacher is going to be putting the time in in front of the keyboard, with either a training rig, or a simulator, and working out how to make things do what you want them to do. And also looking at programs that are already working, and figuring out how and why they are doing what they do.
Always remember that when you get to that "off the roof it goes" point, there are some REALLY REALLY smart and generous people on this forum that will be happy to help you, as long as you can show that you are making an effort on your own, and not just looking for someone to do the hard parts for you.

Just PLEASE PLEASE, never ask what brand of plc, or hmi is the best.... It's not a pretty sight.

Good luck, and happy learning,
Will.

I believe we will be working with Seimen PLC, thank you for all the links and the tip :)