LED Panel Lights

Tim Ganz

Who makes the best LED panel lights? I use Hoffman enclosures but the LED lights from Hoffman don't look to be built all that well. Anyone have a favorite?

Also what is the best method to set these up where you can have lights even when the 480 is off? I would like to use 24vdc lighting units.

I use automation direct for most things like that.
As far as when the 480 is off, you would need a separate power supply for your control voltage. Some people frown on this because the one switch doesn't kill all power to the cabinet.

If you really want lights with the power off, I believe Banner has some nice battery powered LED panel lights. You can mount them permanently or magnetic so you can move them around. I can't vouch for battery life, but I have a battery operated LED tap light at home that is past 5 years on the original AA batteries. I only use it during power failures.

I believe Banner has some nice battery powered LED panel lights

I did not know they had battery lights. Banner has a good selection. I have been using them for a while and they work great.

Tim,

FYI, control voltages above 120 vac is not allowed in control panels unless built years ago per nfpa 79 - Electrical standard for industrial machinery.

motor wiring is obviously more than 120.

also, you must look at the environment you are putting lights, photos, limit switches in. are these devics rated for the area?

you MUST also place a placard on the enclosure door stating that there is secondary power in place even when the main disconnect is off.

regards,
james

Tim,

FYI, control voltages above 120 vac is not allowed in control panels unless built years ago per nfpa 79 - Electrical standard for industrial machinery.

regards,
james

Can you cite the section of NFPA 79 that states this? I have machines here that have 480VAC in the panel. The control circuit voltage does not exceed 120
vac and that is what I am seeing in NFPA 79 in section 9.1.2.1. Maybe that is what you are saying? Or are you saying there has to be a separate panel for the higher voltages?

Regards,
Dave

Tim,

also, you must look at the environment you are putting lights, photos, limit switches in. are these devics rated for the area?

you MUST also place a placard on the enclosure door stating that there is secondary power in place even when the main disconnect is off.

regards,
james

My control wiring would not be above 120 volts?