Local Remote Switching

jim767

Got any pointers or rules if I have system that has a Local HMI and is also is able to be controlled by a network. Should the person locally only be able to switch the system to remote control for safety reasons or should someone remotely also be allowed to switch it. Just looking for general rules or guidelines. Thanks.

Personally, I always want the local operator to have control over who has control. Sometimes this is not possible, but I think it is the safest method.

I have done something similar with 2 WinCC Flexible HMIs and a Citect SCADA system.

Local HMI has control by default but when either remote HMI (Citect, Wincc flex) requests control the local HMI shows a pop-up which gives the local user the ability to grant or deny the remote station(s) control.

Not sure if this totally answers your question, but the end-user liked this scenario.

Thanks, I agree with your answers. In the current case we are going with the Local has total control but I like the idea of the pop up. I guess there are no written rules to this effect.