Log Data from CompactLogix using Ingear OPC Server

Coachman

Good Morning ,

I am sorry ,but I have a terrible mental block when it
comes down to understanding opc servers ,and other things dealing
with data transfer ,and data bases. I want to learn, but I lack the patience needed to fully understand.
My question is , I downloaded the Ingear Demo OPC Server
for Allen Bradley Networks. I have it working well ,seeing all my tags, but what can I do with it now. My goal is to log data to an excel file or maybe access. I have Visual Basic 5.0 ,is there any code that I can type in to grab these tags and log them. I am very
short on funds ,so I need something very inexpensive.

Thanks in advance,

Coachman,

I have done this sort of data transfer in VB in the past (PLC-5 to Access). It is definitely not easy doing it through custom code.

I'm an engineer at I/Gear now, and we have a software called Data Transport Utility (DTU) that can do the InGear to database communication.

The way it would work in our software would be via the following:

1. The DTU would use an OPC connection to connect to InGear and read the tags you have configured.
2. The DTU would use an OLE-DB connection to connect to Access, Excel, or any other database platform you choose, and write chosen tags to the destination. The DTU lets you browse the the database tables and columns to build the appropriate SQL query to put the data where you want it.

I know you said you wanted an inexpensive solution, and I think the DTU falls in that range. Plus, it has a lot of other uses beyond the point-to-point solution you mentioned.

If you want to try out a demo, please download it here: http://www.igearonline.com/downloads/default.asp