Logix Designer Tag Export with UDT Expansion

AMarks95

Does anybody know of a way to export tags from Logix Designer and have it expand the UDTs into individual tag names? For example, say I have a timer of type TIMER named "example_TMR" and I want example_TMR.ACC, example_TMR.EN, example_TMR.PRE, and example_TMR.TT as individual tags with their own types in the list, rather than just example_TMR as type TIMER.

Last edited:
Does anybody know of a way to export tags from Logix Designer and have it expand the UDTs into individual tag names? For example, say I have a timer of type TIMER named "example_TMR" and I want example_TMR.ACC, example_TMR.EN, example_TMR.PRE, and example_TMR.TT as individual tags with their own types in the list, rather than just example_TMR as type TIMER.

As someone who wanted to parse a Rockwell export last year, but doesn't actually have the software, I wanted the same thing. I ended up taking my project in a different direction, because the export file seemed set up the dumbest way possible, but maybe I just don't know what I'm doing.

The best I saw was to export with data. The type declarations aren't expanded, but the actual tags have the details of the data underneath. Possibly only the ones different from the default values though?

I'm afraid you would have to create a program to do that.
However, if you tell us you final goal, we could come up with other ideas. What are you trying to do with the expanded UDTs? Maybe importing them into an HMI application?

However, if you tell us you final goal, we could come up with other ideas. What are you trying to do with the expanded UDTs? Maybe importing them into an HMI application?

I'm not sure if you're familiar with Ignition at all, but I have an OPC device that I do not have physical access to the moment. So, when I need to change/update the HMI I have to change the tags from OPC to memory (doesn't take that long because most tags are UDTs, but still).

There is an OPC device in Ignition called a "Programmable Device Simulator" that I can load a CSV into that has all the tag names and their defined values. So, if I could export all of the tags (and expanded UDTs) from my project I could simply rename my actual OPC device temporarily and add the simulator device (effectively swapping a simulated device with the same tags in).

For those wondering, I have found a solution.

1. Ignition (by Inductive Automation) is free. Download and install
2. Download the L5k parser and import the project into your gateway
3. Open the new project and open the "parser" perspective view in preview mode
4. Save your Logix project as a L5k file
5. Browse for and select your L5k file
6. Click "Create Simulation Program Export" button and save csv

Alternatively, there is a Python script inside the project that I assume could be run outside of Ignition on any L5k file you have.