Logix PIDE Scan

rigsha97

We have a routine that we trigger with a JSR every 10 seconds that has PIDE instructions. This resides in a Periodic task that triggers every 40ms. This PIDE controls well. I want to move into its own Periodic task that triggers every 10 seconds. When I do this, the PIDE goes out of control quickly. When you compare the two instructions the Delta T for the first PIDE is 40ms. The Delta T for the second PIDE in its own task is 10 seconds. If I am triggering the JSR every 10 seconds in the first periodic task of 40 ms why is the delta t at 40 seconds and not 10 seconds like the first task?

It sounds like that routine with the PIDE instructions is being run at the 40 ms periodic interval. Are you sure there are not multiple JSR instructions for this routine?

Edit: one thing you can try is putting an ADD instruction in the PIDE routine that unconditionally increments a DINT tag value. You can watch if the value only changes every 10 seconds, or if it is jumping as if incremented every 40 ms.

Last edited:
There is only one JSR for this and when you watch the output of the PIDE, it only changes the output every 10 seconds as expected.

There's a detail on page 1084 of this manual regarding the timing mode of PIDE:

Logix 5000 Advanced
Process Control and Drives
Instructions

It implies that the instruction uses the periodic task interval as the instruction's time interval, regardless of whether it is scanned at a slower rate by a timer or other means.

So when you moved it to the 10 second task, the I and D gains would be way off, like 250x for the independent gains, if this is actually how it works.

It sounds like the instruction only calculates a true delta-T when the instruction is contained in a continuous or event task. My experience is only with the continuous task approach.

Last edited:
I understand and what you state does reflect what I am seeing. Thank you for your time and help!!

We don't have enough information to answer the question. Please print the project, with all configuration (tasks, task timings, etc.), to a PDF, and attach (
attach.gif
) that PDF it to a post.

@Mispeld put his finger on the direction to the solution: for a start, what TimingMode is configured for this PID?

PLC programming and configuration is about time, and that is doubly important for PI, PD and PID controllers.