Looking for Data Collection unit

IAA

Does anybody know of a stand alone data collection unit? The job I am setting up has a data collection requirement. I am going to use a CompactLogix L35 PLC. At the end of a test the PLC will receive an ASCII string from the tester via RS232. Once it is into the PLC I would add a time stamp and send that ASCII string to data collection for historical purposes only.

Being a simple person, I would love to find a unit that plugs into the PLC and reads the string when the PLC sends it. Once the String is received it would store it onto some kind of device (USB, CF card). A bonus would be that the stand alone unit would send an acknowledgment back that the string was received.

Anybody got any thoughts, am I keeping it to simple, am I driving down the wrong road?

Thanks

Take a look at the G3 series from Red Lion (or the Datastation if you don't need the operator interface part). I have used them for datalogging applications (writing to a CF card) and they work great.

dogfart said:
Does the G3 accept ASCII over serial?
I'm pretty sure that it does.

But if he's connecting it directly to the CompactLogix, there are better communication protocols to use than serial ASCII. The G3 can directly address tags in the PLC.

Yes, the DSP will accept the ASCII over RS232. Unfortunately, at this time, we cannot easily read/write strings to the CLX family. However, if all you were going to do was add the time stamp, the DSP can do that for you. It could also access any numeric values from the PLC to include in the log.

Regards,
Dan

RS232 was just a starting point, I would rather do Ethernet. So the DSP is what I will look at. Do you recommend part #DSPSX000 or DSPGT000?

Either one will work. The only real difference is the amount of memory. The GT has more memory, so it is capable of a full VGA (640x480) virtual HMI. If you are not planning on using the virtual HMI, or don't need one that large, you can use the SX and save some money.

You will definitely want one of these 2, as the other (DSPLE) does not have the programming section, which is needed when dealing with ASCII.

Regards,
Dan