Looking for Solid State relay suggestions

rootboy

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi guys,

I'm going to replace our mercury-wetted relays with Solid State relays and I'm looking for advice on what you would use.

The current setup (what I would like to replace) is:

3 pole, 40 amp, 480 volt Mercury-wetted relays, and,
2 pole, 30 amp, 480 volt Mercury-wetted relays.

Both relays are controlled off of a GE Genius output block (there will be some leakage there) running at 110 VAC.

I've looked at HB Controls (www.hbcontrols.com), and they look impressive. Any other suggestions?

As always, thanks. :)

Don't Forget about Safety

You have several choices. Crydom is regarded as the best by many. I like Crouzet for a good balance of features and price.

The important part is safety. The typical failure mode of an SSR is shorted. You need the overtemp alarm connected to a non-solid state device. Mechanical contactor or mercury relay.

For true safety, a dedicated overtemp controller is needed.
If you only use one controller and depend on it's overtemp alarm, then wire the contactor to the normally open contacts (relay is energized in a non-alarm condition). In this mode, the controller's CPU must be running and 'happy' before it will energize the alarm relay and activate the contactor.
Configure open T/C for full scale and/or alarm.

A single controller configured this way will protect against shorted SSR and open thermocouple.
It will not protect against shorted thermocouple. Shorted T/C reads room temp. You need a second T/C and overtemp controller for that.

Thanks!

keithkyll said:
You have several choices. Crydom is regarded as the best by many. I like Crouzet for a good balance of features and price.QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip, and sorry about the late response, I was on vacation and forgot about this thread.

We've got a master contactor that will drop out the entire bank of relays if things get out of control, so we're good there.

The Crouzet relays look good, thanks again.