Losing recipe data intermittently

unsaint33

We have a machine with CompactLogix L32E & Panelview Plus. Once in a while I cannot run the machine in auto. I can still run all manual functions via the HMI. I go to the HMI's recipe screen. All recipe values are gone. All zero.

There is no PLC fault.

I'd appreciate any suggestion as to what to check.

Let's take a step back and talk about the application.

How are the recipes implemented in your system ?

PanelView Plus has a "RecipePlus" feature; is that what you're using ?

How do you recover the recipe data when this failure occurs ?

We have a machine with CompactLogix L32E & Panelview Plus. Once in a while I cannot run the machine in auto. I can still run all manual functions via the HMI. I go to the HMI's recipe screen. All recipe values are gone. All zero.

There is no PLC fault.

I'd appreciate any suggestion as to what to check.

does this by chance happen after a powerdown... or over a weekend?

is there a memory card in the plc?

Like Ken asked, how are recipes handled in the system?

1. When we lose the data, we just re-enter them using the HMI buttons. I guess we just lose variables, rather than "recipe" data. I will go back to the machine and check to see if we also lose other data that has nothing to do with specific parts.

2. Yes, there's a memory card in the PLC.

3. I'm not sure if it happens after power down or after a long down time. The operator is gone home for the weekend so I will have to ask him on Monday.

Sorry about the insufficient information. I will update on Monday with those info.

vacc.jpg

If those values are reverting back to the same numbers each time, then you may have a case where the memory card has the program stored on it with that data in it.

If you have no way to connect and see how it's set up. then you could test this by removing the memory card and seeing whether the controller ends up faulted over time (corrupted data).

the other possibility is that they have it set to load on each powerup. which sometimes for some people only happens over each weekend, and sometimes only once a month or longer depending on how they treat their machines.

Thanks for sharing those photos ! I like a PanelView that's not afraid to get dirty.

It's my guess that you're not using Recipe Plus, so it's most likely that you'll have to look at the FTView ME application to figure out what CompactLogix tags are being referenced in those numeric entry/display fields, and then investigate your logic and configuration (like the CF memory storage card) to figure out why they're being zeroed or reset.

One diagnostic I like is that the CompactLogix has an "uptime" counter on its embedded Web page that can tell you the time since the last power cycle. Often the power status from the machine's perspective is not the same as from the operators or maintenance staff.

is it possible that bubba created the same recipe with zeros and stored it as the program with the correct information? we have had that happen and ended up putting is access codes to replace a recipe variable, delete the recipe, modify, and store.
james