Machine Network: Managed switch, DLR??

Update: I'm planning to get two more of the EDS-408A and form a "Turbo Ring". I'll put one in each of the extruder panels, and connect them all together. There are several YouTube videos about setting them up. I didn't see much in stock during a Google search, but I hand the purchasing off to another guy who does that. I'll set this aside until they come in.

...although I'll check on upgrading the firmware on the one we have.

Thanks for all the replies!

Rockwell does recommend MANAGED switches if you have ANY non-Rockwell I/O on the network (which your photo appears to show). It sounds like a sales pitch, but from personal experience, I have found it to be true....the hard way.

It's a bit of both, from what I understand. Scare tactic partially grounded in reality, but only partially.

Early EIP devices were multicast (which is only subtly different from broadcast, every message goes everywhere), which pretty much requires managed switches to handle things above a handful of devices. Later on Unicast became an option (messages only go to intended recipient), which is way more manageable for the network. I think Rockwell's stuff has mostly been upgraded by this point, and SOME third party stuff has, but there's plenty of devices out there that still only offer multicast.