Magentic Pickup/Speed reading

GulfPhotonics

Good day All,
Forgive me if this isn't a question that fits into the scope of the forum, but I am hopeful someone here my be able to help. I am going to continue searching the board for any info in the meantime.

I am an OE, so this is all very VERY new to me. I have what has been termed as a simple setup using a Red Lion magnetic pickup and a 60 tooth 20 DP 3.01" OD gear on the shaft of a large wheel used to draw fiber optics. The signal from the pickup goes to a Red Lion IFMA and out to a Red Lion counter.

I am confused about what to set the input frequency to on the IFMA. Should it be max of what we expect to run the wheel? Say 100 rpm and calculate the frequency from that?

Now on the output of the IFMA I would need to calibrate the VDC output to what my zero value would be, say for example I would want 5rpm(assuming the pickup can handle that slow of a speed) to be calibrated to 1 VDC on the IFMA. Will the IFMA scale the output voltage using the 1 VDC calibration and the MAX input frequency?

Now assuming I have the output type of the IFMA(VDC) set correctly and the input type of the Panel meter set correctly (+/- 20VDC). I then to to program the DIN meter to interpret the DC output from the IFMA correctly. This is where the wheels fall off for me;

Input value 1 should be 0 at 0rpm or 0 VDC from the IFMA.
Display 1 should be 0 as well.

Input value 2 should 10vdc at 100 RPM from the IFMA(MAX)
Display 2 should be 100

Now what setting helps the counter/display interpret the in between values. For example if the wheel is running at 50 RPM? Would this be a combination of the "filter" and "band" settings.

Sorry for being all over the place, but any advice would help. Thank you in advance!

Best,
Chris

From what I can tell you shouldn't need t do anything on the IFMA for calibration other than setting the input range as specified in section 3.0 of the IFMA manual, assuming you didn't change the minimum value. If you do this you will get the minimum value volts below the low frequency cut-out value and 10 volts at the input range frequency.

You didn't tell us what meter you are using so I really can't tell you how to calibrate that.

Keith

Say 100 rpm and calculate the frequency from that?
Yes

Now on the output of the IFMA I would need to calibrate the VDC output to what my zero value would be, say for example I would want 5rpm(assuming the pickup can handle that slow of a speed) to be calibrated to 1 VDC on the IFMA. Will the IFMA scale the output voltage using the 1 VDC calibration and the MAX input frequency?
Set output to 10 Volts. 5 RPM will be 1 Volt if you have max set to 50 RPM.

Input value 2 should 10vdc at 100 RPM from the IFMA(MAX)
Display 2 should be 100
That's the only part you need to worry about. Min will be 0 by default for a positive only input. If it is +/-20V, then you would set minimum to -200 RPM, and maximum to +200 RPM.

You said DIN meter is a counter. I'm confused about your setup. What is the IFMA for? A counter alone would do what you want.

Hi Keith,
Thank you for the input. This morning I was able to teach the IFMA the input frequency using section 2 of the IFMA manual, by getting the wheel up to speed while measuring with a handheld tachometer.

The equipment uses a Redline DP5D panel meter.

Best,
Chris

Yes

Set output to 10 Volts. 5 RPM will be 1 Volt if you have max set to 50 RPM.

That's the only part you need to worry about. Min will be 0 by default for a positive only input. If it is +/-20V, then you would set minimum to -200 RPM, and maximum to +200 RPM.

You said DIN meter is a counter. I'm confused about your setup. What is the IFMA for? A counter alone would do what you want.

Ok, this is very helpful as I don't have an internal resource. The panel meter only has the option of +/-20v

This equipment is part of a fiber optic draw tower. The magnetic pick up sends the wheel speed to our IFMA which send its signal to the Red Line DP5D which outputs our RPMS. The RPM's are critical to the process as it helps control OD of the fiber optic ~50um. From there we have some speed control knobs and a PLC that runs a program based on a total fiber run. There is a separate counter that displays number of total wheel rotations. Once this number reaches a preset point it resets and trigger a traverse at the top of the tower.

Thank you folks!