Markem-Imaje SmartDate X60 - Troubleshooting Manuals . Looking for a good description and cause for Error 1016

Cydog

Good Morning ,

Not sure how many use Markem-Imaje SmartDate X60 Printers , but I'm having trouble finding a good manual for troubleshooting.
I have a Fault 1016 - Unrecognized Printhead - The printheads type and resistance could not be identified .

I understand that the password is for the day , month and year. But the option to change the resistance still does not come up on
the screen .

Thanks so much ,

Daily Password is not just Day Month Year... you need to also replace each digit in that string of numbers by looking in the Date row for that numeric value and replacing it with the corresponding number directly beneath it from the Code Row.
See below.
1709750266089.png

I don't see a Fault 1016 in my manual. I do see a [Fault 1013 - Unknown Printhead]

Lists probable cause as "Non-SmartDate X40 Printhead Fitted, non-M-I Printhead fitted or faulty printhead."
Using the correct decoded service password above should allow you access to the Service/Printer setup menu and update settings.
Alternatively it states that if the printhead is in warranty period to follow the Printhead warranty process [to get it replaced]

Is the printhead in question from Markem-Imaje? If so is it a compatible printhead? X60 printheads should autodetect the head resistance. SmartDate 5/X40 printheads can be used as a short-term solution. But will require you manually configure everything.

Select Printhead model:
[Menu\Service\Service Login] - daily password.
.. [Service\Installation Setup\Printhead Model] - choose correct printhead model (should be on bottom sticker of printhead)
after this you may need to set printhead resistance.

Configure Printhead Resistance:
[Menu\Service\Service Login] - daily password.
.. [Service\Installation Setup\Printhead Resistance] (use the resistance printed on the sticker on the bottom of the printhead (the R=xxxx number).

after both steps are complete, you will need to power cycle the printer.

Barring this if you can post the part number (and or image of your printhead in question with this information visible) I can check if it is compatible with the X60.

Regards,
Patrick

I just called the markem service department. And the printhead I install was newer so the controller needed a firmware update the service tech sent me the update via email with the instruction on how to install the new firmware. I did that it start right up. (Fault code 1016) For X60

Anyone have any idea why the print would fade as soon as it printed? you could touch it with your hand and its easily wiped away? smartdate x40

Anyone have any idea why the print would fade as soon as it printed? you could touch it with your hand and its easily wiped away? smartdate x40
I resolved this issue; I had already replaced the printer head and the issue remained. So, I wasn't thinking it was the printer head but after trying everything else, I put another new head on. & this time it fixed the issue. I'm thinking the 1st printer head was faulty.