MDT AutoSave vs FTAC

nknight317

Hi all,

Our plant has a combination of Schneider Modicon as well as Rockwell A-B PLCs. It used to be only Modicon in the past but we are now being asked to move towards A-Bs when installing new PLCs, not sure if we will eventually replace the Modicons with A-Bs as well later.

We are currently looking to get some change management software, particularly for our PLC programs, and looking at MDT AutoSave and FactoryTalk AssetCentre as our options.

From my understanding, FTAC has been developed purely for A-B use while MDT supports multiple vendors. But does anyone know if FTAC can be used with 3rd party PLCs? Any experience using FTAC with Modicon or such?

Also, if anyone has personal experiences or tips to share on MDT AutoSave or FTAC (or even other change management/auditing software), that would be great, thanks! :)

For pure version control /change management either can be used and yes FTAC will handle revision control / change management of almost any file type such as word,excel,etc.

The rub is in the compare FTAC can only compare certain file types but some third party files work such as some Siemens and many popular Microsoft applications you would just need to check the documentation for supported types. (I don't remember all of them)

Also FTAC can monitor live changes on the PLC for supported PLC's which is only AB gear IIRC.

As the disaster recovery where it goes out on a schedule and compares what's in the processor to the repository and upload or replace if it does not match is again only for AB gear.

MDT is good software headquarters is about 30 minutes from me and I know some of the guys on the team as they are from my Alma Mater.

MDT is more brand versatile but can be more expensive. You may want to price and demo both.