message between two system

chief weegum

Hi all,

i need to send message from slc 5/03 to a micrologix 1000.
panelview300 is connected to the micrologix. Panelview1000 dh485 is connected to the 5/03. rs232 port is free on the 5/03 cpu.

If i put two 1761-net-aic to do a bridge between those system, it is a good ideal or there is something better to do.

I am curious because I have not used the AIC but would you need 2? It looks like it may be possible to connect the ML and PV to the AIC then connect to the SLC/PV on DH485....Ken, Ron, mgvol???

It looks like the use of 2 AICs would allow you to connect your computer to one and be able to access either the ML or the SLC, this could offer some advantages.

Another option is use a ML1200 with 2 ports then you could network the ML, SLC and PV with the other PV going to the ML serial port but this could cost more than having to use 2 AIC (which the more I look at it does not seem to be the case but may offer the best features at the best price).

AB also offers a port splitter, maybe someone can state if it could be used in this case.

Last edited:
chief weegum said:
If i put two 1761-net-aic to do a bridge between those system, it is a good ideal or there is something better to do.

Yes, but you'll probably have to change the PV300 to a DH485 version. Its that or upgrade the ML1000 to a ML1200 with the 2nd com port (my choice).

js that was the part I was not sure about. The AIC has 2 serial ports and it states it can be used as isolation device....if so couldnt both the ML1000 and the PV300 be connected to the AIC?

rsdoran said:
js that was the part I was not sure about. The AIC has 2 serial ports and it states it can be used as isolation device....if so couldnt both the ML1000 and the PV300 be connected to the AIC?

Yep, I follow what you are saying and you're right but in order for the PV300 to converse with the AIC it has to follow the DH485 protocol and not DF1. It will depend on which PV300 catalog number he has. Directly connected PVs to the uLogix are usually DF1 (2711-K3A17L1) but its possible he has the RS232/DH485 version (2711-K3A5L1).

If the distance between the ML1000 and the 5/03 is within 50', then the 1747-DPS1 port splitter would work, without the need for AIC+. If the distance is too long, or you desire everything on a single DH-485 network, then you would need the (2) AIC+ and would need to switch the PV300 to a DH-485 PV300. I am assuming the PV300 is a DF1 model; since the com port on the ML1000 can be either DF1 or DH-485, it may indeed be DH-485 already. If so, the (2) AIC+ will work. Here's a link to info on the port splitter - there is a network diagram showing possible configurations near the end of the document.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/pp/1747-pp018_-en-p.pdf

mgvol said:
since the com port on the ML1000 can be either DF1 or DH-485, it may indeed be DH-485 already.

And here comes the twist. From a AB TechNote:

"Only Series C or later versions of the MicroLogix 1000 controllers have the capability to be "promoted" to function on the DH-485."

So, if he's trying to use a older ML1000 he may run into some difficulty. The splitter would help in that case.