Micro820 analog output module 2080-OF2 bad?

Eric @ ITC

I have run into a problem with my first time installing a 2080-OF2 module on a Micro820 and have a hunch that the module itself - brand new out of the package from an authorized distributor - is bad.

Like a few previous posts that I have reviewed in trying to diagnose my problem, I was getting 0 mA on both channels even though the raw output counts that my logic were sending were valid (13107 to 65535 scaled or utilizing a MOV command directly from _IO_EM_AI_00 to _IO_p1_AO_00). The posts I have researched all kind of focus on the "raw count" side of the potential problem and I don't think that is my where my issue is. While I am not getting above 0 mA on either channel regardless of what value they get sent, I am getting a constant 14.32 VDC. Given that the range is supposed to be 0 - 10 VDC, I am inclined to think that the module is somehow fried due to the higher voltage and that is why I cannot get any current values. Does this seem like a logical assumption?

I ran into an issue with the micro **** where the controller locks the channel out if it detects broken wire. maybe try this:

2/24/2021 2085-OF4 module stops working after disconnecting wire
Answer:
Module DAC detects hardware errors like broken wire or high load resistance associated with the channel x, and the corresponding channel is locked (disabled) until user clears the error.
For further information refer to Micro800 Discrete and Analog Expansion I/0 User Manual Publication 2080-UM003.
CEx are written during run mode to clear any □AC hardware error bits and re-enable the error-disabled channel
X.
• Bit 8 is CEO
• Bit 9 is CE1
• Bit 10 is CE2
• Bit 11 is CE3
A value of 3848 will reset all 4 channels.
A value of 2056 will reset channel 3 (CE3).

I appreciate the reply diat150, thank you.

As far as I can tell, the troubleshooting available for a 2085 expansion module is not available for a 2080 plugin module though. All I can see on the plugin module is the raw values, no diagnostic bits. Changing the module to the second slot doesn't solve the problem nor does a power cycle. It is just strange to me that I'm getting that voltage with no conductors landed on the terminals.

I found a tech note (access level: Everyone) that discusses this module and erratic readings. Not quite what you're seeing, but the "fix" is worth a try:
https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/1006739/loc/en_US
Basically, they're saying it could be a corrupted project. Remove the module from the project and save it. Download to the PLC. Then re-insert it and download again. Seems weird, but worth a shot.

joseph_e2 that is the most bizarre possible solution that you found ... and it absolutely worked!!!

Not sure why three days of back and forth with RA Technical Support couldn't come up with that, but many thanks to you for digging the tech note up and posting here.

- - -

For anybody else who may come upon this thread in the future looking for a solution to a similar problem, diat150's response about clearing the Channel errors seems to be exactly what joseph_e2's suggestion accomplished, it is just that because I was dealing with a plugin module instead of an expansion module, I didn't have access to those Clear Error bits in the program like I would have if I was using an expansion module. Regardless, this solution worked for me and I appreciate both of them taking the time to help me out.

joseph_e2 that is the most bizarre possible solution that you found ... and it absolutely worked!!!

Not sure why three days of back and forth with RA Technical Support couldn't come up with that, but many thanks to you for digging the tech note up and posting here.

- - -

For anybody else who may come upon this thread in the future looking for a solution to a similar problem, diat150's response about clearing the Channel errors seems to be exactly what joseph_e2's suggestion accomplished, it is just that because I was dealing with a plugin module instead of an expansion module, I didn't have access to those Clear Error bits in the program like I would have if I was using an expansion module. Regardless, this solution worked for me and I appreciate both of them taking the time to help me out.

I also had a similar problem when installing the 2080-OF2 module, thanks for your solution it worked for me. :nodi:

- - - eggy car

You won't hear me argue that much. I used a Micro820 once and had trouble getting it to power on and getting the "recommended" 24V power supply to snap together with the CPU. Would not go that route again.

I agree. :ROFLMAO:

Drift Boss said: I ran into an issue with the micro **** where the controller locks the channel out if it detects broken wire. maybe try this:

2/24/2021 2085-OF4 module stops working after disconnecting wire
Answer:
Module DAC detects hardware errors like broken wire or high load resistance associated with the channel x, and the corresponding channel is locked (disabled) until user clears the error.
For further information refer to Micro800 Discrete and Analog Expansion I/0 User Manual Publication 2080-UM003.
CEx are written during run mode to clear any □AC hardware error bits and re-enable the error-disabled channel
X.
• Bit 8 is CEO
• Bit 9 is CE1
• Bit 10 is CE2
• Bit 11 is CE3
A value of 3848 will reset all 4 channels.
A value of 2056 will reset channel 3 (CE3).
I appreciate the reply.