Micrologix 1400 IP Address

mcc

Hello,

I was wondering if there was a way to be able to change the IP address on the Micrologix 1400 through an HMI screen (say a panelview 800) and not through the LCD on the Micrologix.

The problem with changing it through the LCD screen is that the program has a master password to prevent it from being uploaded.

So far I haven't found any information if this is possible to do using ladder logic (I don't mean through the channel configuration). Everything I found on the internet just shows you how to do it through the LCD screen.

Thanks in advance for the help.

There is an Everyone Access Technote in the Knowledgebase that details how to do this using ladder logic and MSG instructions in the ML1400 Controller.

ID: QA10867 | Access Levels: Everyone
Ethernet MSG instruction will allow IP address configuration.

Last edited:
I think that sort of begs the question about using an HMI... with a MicroLogix 1400 you could use RS-232 or RS-485 networking to the HMI, so the IP address of the MicroLogix wouldn't matter to the HMI.

If you used Ethernet to connect to the MicroLogix in the first place, then after changing the IP address of the controller you would also need to change the HMI's communication configuration and/or shortcut to the controller. I admit I haven't used Micro 800's enough to know if you can change the shortcut definition in their config window.

If this is meant to be an assembly or replacement simplification method, maybe an Ethernet switch with per-port DHCP is a good investment.

There is an Everyone Access Technote in the Knowledgebase that details how to do this using ladder logic and MSG instructions in the ML1400 Controller.

ID: QA10867 | Access Levels: Everyone
Ethernet MSG instruction will allow IP address configuration.

Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for.
No master password needed with the above technote.
I am using the tool port on the Micrologix 1400 to connect to the Panelview 800.