MICROLOGIX 1400 not present on RSLinx

ABnorm123

Hi everyone,

I can ping our Micrologix 1400 but the problem is I can't see it on RSLinx, I already set the RSLinx to detect the PLC IP address but I still can't see it.

Micrologix 1400
IP: 10.115.10.30

PC: 10.115.10.35
PC connected directly to the PLC.

Thank you in advance for your help everyone.:p

I am assuming since you said you can ping the micrologix you did this already but here would be my process:

I would verify the PLC ip address and subnet, then double check that I have the same ip (minus the final host part) and subnet set on my laptop. When a PLC has an ip of 192.168.1.10 and a subnet 255.255.255.0 I set my laptop to 192.168.1.69 and subnet 255.255.255.0 Then i would open the command prompt and type ping *plc address* (in this case 192.168.1.10) to make sure my computer is seeing the plc. In rslinx i would then would configure an ethernet/ip driver and make sure to select the ethernet port i am connected to, not windows default. Hope this helps.

The great Tim Wilborne has a video for this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-s_Cz8-nas

🍻

Hi everyone,

I can ping our Micrologix 1400 but the problem is I can't see it on RSLinx, I already set the RSLinx to detect the PLC IP address but I still can't see it.

Micrologix 1400
IP: 10.115.10.30

PC: 10.115.10.35
PC connected directly to the PLC.

Thank you in advance for your help everyone.:p

set to detect?

I would choose the Ethernet Devices driver instead of the Ethernet/IP driver

then enter the IP manually into it. you may just have an issue with your PC setup. this would just eliminate anything in between.

You said you entered the IP address in RSLinx, which indicates to me that you're using the Ethernet devices driver. It looks like everything is configured correctly.

It's a long shot, but I banged my head against this exact issue for a long time: a PLC would reply to ping but RSLinx wouldn't see it. After much consternation, I swapped the Ethernet patch cable and it all started working. Somehow, the cable was good enough for ping but not good enough for real communications.

Also, with a 1400, you *should* be ok directly connected, but I'd also try using a simple hub or unmanaged switch, as a test. You can also get a crossover cable or crossover adapter to put in line. That's more likely to be necessary with older devices and shouldn't be necessary with the ML1400, but it may be worth a try.

Direct connection is fine (no need for switch or crossover cable), but a bad cable is a possibility.

Another thing I have seen once or twice on a co-workers PC is that when using "Windows Default" NIC and the Ethernet Devices driver, his machine was trying to locate the target PC over his wi-fi connection rather than the physical LAN connection, and disabling wi-fi on his laptop got the PLC to appear and made connection possible.

Another thing I have seen once or twice on a co-workers PC is that when using "Windows Default" NIC and the Ethernet Devices driver, his machine was trying to locate the target PC over his wi-fi connection rather than the physical LAN connection, and disabling wi-fi on his laptop got the PLC to appear and made connection possible.

+1

It is for this reason that I always manually set which adapter to use when setting up the driver. I use a separate driver for wired vs wireless connections so I don't have to change it back and forth.