micrologix mirco starter lite

Comeback Kid

Hello All,

I am trying to get back into PLCs after some time away and am trying to start with a mircologix 1000 1761-L32BWA.

I have a laptop with no serial port, the micro starter software, the RS Linx Classic software, a 1761 CBL PM02, and a generic usb to serial cable. I am unable to communicate with this set up. Is the problem the serial to usb cable? If so what do I need?

Did you verify what com port the serial adapter is on and set that the same as in RSLinx and once that is set press the auto-configure. Also if you are using the PM02 make sure you select the right processor.

Mark's right on: use the Windows Control Panel -> System -> Hardware feature to verify what COMx port number the USB/RS232 converter is using. Some devices change what COM port number they use based on which USB plug they're connected to !

The DF1 Full Duplex driver is what you want to use.

Autoconfigure doesn't work with all USB/RS232 converters.

Try setting the DF1 Full Duplex driver to the default settings that match the MicroLogix controller; 19200 baud, DF1 Full Duplex, CRC error checking, 8/N/1 framing, Micro/SLC/SCANPort Device Type.

The first thing to do is make sure that the "RSWho" network browse in RSLinx Classic can "see" the controller. After that, we can point you toward making sure that RSLogix 500 is using the correct driver and network path so that you can actually download and go online with the controller.

Mark, Thanks for the reply. I was trying to figure out how to determine the com port number assigned to the USB port but was coming up dry. Any thoughts there?

Ken,

I just saw your reply. I looked in the hardware and the various USB ports are designated in a manner of Port #0001 Hub #0004. Is this then com port 1?

As Mark mentioned, don't look under "USB Devices" but rather under "Ports (COM & LPT)".

This is one of the most common issues with USB/RS232 adapters... they're so flexible it's hard to get a grip on what resource assignment they use.

part way there

Ahh. It appears to be com port 3. Well using Com Port 3 I am able to get it to configure the the DF1 Full Duplex Driver, but only if I use BCC error checking. when I finish it says the driver is running. When I go to RSWho I see DF1 in the right pane and when I click on it it finds the computer at 00 but nothing at 1.

The MicroLogix controllers, by default, use CRC Error Checking. I'm not sure if the MicroLogix 1000 can even be changed to BCC.

Again, do not trust the Autoconfigure feature to work; about half of the inexpensive USB/RS232 interfaces on the market cannot switch settings fast enough to keep up.

Manually configure the DF1 Full Duplex driver to match the default settings for the MicroLogix 1000 and it should work.

The MicroLogix 1000 can be configured for DH485, and also for DF1 Half Duplex with handshaking that makes it very difficult to switch back to good old DF1 Full Duplex. If this controller has been removed from a networked or telemetry application it's possible that is the issue.

DF1_Defaults_Micro1000.png

Success!

Well I finally got the opportunity to put a little more time in on this project and with little hope of success read through all of your posts again and gave it a shot. After a couple of dead ends I noticed some of my configurations settings had changed. I set the error checking back to CRC and the baud rate at 9600 and low and behold new things began to happen. The next thing I knew I was online.

So now it's time to learn/relearn the PLC world. Thanks to all of you for your help. I'll likely be back, but at least I'm on the right track.

Later,

Comeback Kid